PDA

View Full Version : Clown gobies and SPS

velvetelvis
03/14/2010, 06:18 PM
I recently added a really nice colony (about 3") of orange Montipora digitata to my Solana, which also houses a pair of TR green clown gobies.

I know clown gobies will sometimes nip at corals' polyps if they're breeding, but are they a problem for SPS corals otherwise? One of mine likes to hang out in the digitata, but I haven't seen any nipping (yet?).

reidcrandall
03/14/2010, 06:21 PM
They shouldn't bother them enough to kill SPS, but when I had one, I didn't see much polyp extension after I put the goby in.

velvetelvis
03/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Did it seem to affect the corals' growth/health? I like my gobies, but at the same time, this is a really beautiful, unique colony of digitata...I'd hate to have to choose between them.

reidcrandall
03/14/2010, 06:43 PM
It didn't seem to affect the growth and health in my tank. The coral still grew and did well until i had to sell everything from the tank because of a move.

wells284
03/14/2010, 07:20 PM
I have a clown goby in my tank that I am removing. he is perching on every coral frag I have. This causes them to not extend their polyps.

CorkPullerPHL
03/14/2010, 09:13 PM
My citrinus destroyed 17 frags in just a few days. I'm of the impression clown's are equally as evil.

...you should have seen the goby and my bali green slimer. It was war, but coral brought a knife to a gun fight. :uzi:

ctenophors rule
03/14/2010, 09:59 PM
...you should have seen the goby and my bali green slimer. It was war, but coral brought a knife to a gun fight. :uzi:

thats terrible! though your description was hillarious!

What i have heard is that if they develope a taste for coral, then they will always be on the look out for coral, just like sharks that bite people. so my theory is that if you keep them well fed they might not bother the corals as frequently...any ideas?

velvetelvis
03/15/2010, 01:45 PM
I've never heard that they actually eat coral, but that they nip the polyps in order to clear out space for laying eggs. I don't think it's the same as butterflies and angels that are corallivores.