PDA

View Full Version : high pH

SlvrSurfRidr
03/14/2010, 09:57 PM
looking for a home brew recipe to gradually lower pH. Been mixing my own water with Reef Crystals - params as follows:

CA - 500
ALK - 940
MG - 1290
SG - 1.026
PH - 8.8+

Thanks in advance

2thdeekay
03/15/2010, 12:56 AM
What are you using for pH test? I'd double check that reading.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2010, 05:01 AM
I agree that the pH is not likely that high.

99.999% of the time, excessive pH in the absence of limewater is measurement error.

This has more:
High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

SlvrSurfRidr
03/15/2010, 10:27 AM
I agree that the pH is not likely that high.

99.999% of the time, excessive pH in the absence of limewater is measurement error.

This has more:
High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

Thanks for the link Randy, I'm using an ACJR with pH probe. I assumed the same as you - it was calibrated incorrectly. I checked again this weekend it is in fact correct. I dose 2 part, but pH has been over 8.5 for a couple of months now. Any other thoughts? I've tried dosing vinegar (5ml per day for 28g tank). Innitially the pH goes down, but by the next day it comes right back. After 2-3 days straight dosing, the effects become less and less and I think the oxygen level may be suffering as I start to get red slime/cyano outbreaks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2010, 10:34 AM
I just noticed the alkalinity says 940, what unit is that?

Very high alkalinity contributes to high pH.

SlvrSurfRidr
03/15/2010, 11:02 AM
I just noticed the alkalinity says 940, what unit is that?

Very high alkalinity contributes to high pH.
Nice catch, typo'd the decimal. should be:

9.40 dKH

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2010, 11:12 AM
OK, then I still suspect a problem, maybe even electrical interference from light ballasts, etc. Or maybe the calibration fluids are off. Which pH fluids did you use?

Try measuring the pH in a cup away from the tank.

Simple aeration will bring the pH down if it is above pH 8.5 at that alkalinity. If it does not, then there is a measurement problem.

SlvrSurfRidr
03/15/2010, 11:15 AM
OK, then I still suspect a problem, maybe even electrical interference from light ballasts, etc. Or maybe the calibration fluids are off. Which pH fluids did you use?

Try measuring the pH in a cup away from the tank.

Simple aeration will bring the pH down if it is above pH 8.5 at that alkalinity. If it does not, then there is a measurement problem.

Not sure the name of brand on the pH calibration fluid, single use packets from the LFS. It was tested in an isolated cup away from the tank. I appreciate the comprehensive analysis. Any ideas on how to lower the pH? I have a nano tank and am not in the market for a CO2 setup

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/15/2010, 11:25 AM
Single point pH calibration or two point calibration?

The former is not reliable.

Aeration is always adequate to lower pH, but vinegar and soda water are good in a single time emergency (like a limewater overdose). Amounts are detailed in the article.