PDA

View Full Version : Questions on ATO. Need some advice before I buy

slief
03/15/2010, 09:53 AM
I just setup my RO/DI and saltwater mixing drums. I have a litermeter III and a second pump that will be used for automatic water changes. I am going to add an ATO and dont know which way to go.

I have a Neptune Apex which I was planning on using as a failsafe. I already have floats in my sump for that. I guess I could add a small pump to my RO holding tank and use the Apex but I was thinking about just getting a seperate ATO and plugging it in to an Apex outlet for the failsafe.

The reef fanatic units look decent but require a seperate pump. The water level in my holding tank is higher than the sumps water level so a powerhead in the holding tank would not work as I would end up having water siphon into the sump when the pump is off. I guess I would need a some sort of special pump if I went that route. I was also considering the Tunzi Osmilator. I could also get the Litermeter top off module and another pump for it but thats pretty expensive and more than the Tunze.

What would you guys suggest?

Also, what pumps would be suitable (non siphoning) if I were to use my Apex or a Reef Fanatic? The ideal pump would be external of the holding tank so that I could just run rigid tubing through a bulkhead into the drum. That way, I dont have to deal with putting a hole in the lid to the pump cord. Not sure how the Tunze works but it looks like it uses a submerged pump.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

rbnice1
03/15/2010, 09:56 AM
I use a autotopoff.com double float system with solenoid and gravity feed it.

slief
03/15/2010, 11:19 AM
I use a autotopoff.com double float system with solenoid and gravity feed it.

That might work. Their float swithes look bulky though and it doesnt appear that they can be suction cup attached which I would prefer as my sump has lids that are routed out to sit flush.

rbnice1
03/15/2010, 11:43 AM
I dont think I would trust suction cups for mounting a float switch ATO.

What about going with a system that uses the optical sensor thing and sits outside your sump? That or a magnetic mount. You could make something like that easy enough with a mag float or something.

slief
03/15/2010, 12:44 PM
I might try to macgyver something. The reef fanatic suction cup mount switches have been holding pretty well since I installed them though. I think the magnet mount would be very easy but I also think the magnet could interfere with the float switch. I like the idea of an optical sensor but they only seem to be available with an ATO.

As it sits right now, I think I am going to add a dosing pump and control it via my Apex. I will use a low level float switch and a couple high level switches for the shut off. That way there is some redundancy in the shut off. I will use a fourth switch for the failsafe to the failsafe. That fourth switch will also shut one of my skimmer pumps off so it doesnt overflow. I am already using one of my switches for that. It helps when I shut my return pump off or in the event of a powerfailure, the skimmer program will delay its startup.

rbnice1
03/15/2010, 12:48 PM
Yea I have my skimmer set to stay off for 10 minutes after my return starts running again.

sjm817
03/15/2010, 02:54 PM
This is what I did for my Reef Fanatic floats. Never used the suction cups at all.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Cheerleader555240/DSC_3119.jpg

slief
03/15/2010, 04:25 PM
This is what I did for my Reef Fanatic floats. Never used the suction cups at all.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Cheerleader555240/DSC_3119.jpg

I must have seen another one of your posts around here as I have seen that picture before. Thats a pretty good idea. I might just have to do that. It sure would make adjusting them easy. Thanks for sharing that!

tkeracer619
03/15/2010, 04:30 PM
I tried that with my aquamedic ATO. It worked worse then before. The aquamedic ATO is awful out of the box though. Nice to see someone do that and that it doesn't effect the switches.

sjm817
03/16/2010, 05:31 AM
There is not enough magnetic pull from the little mag floats to have any effect on these float switches. I've been running this setup for over 6 years. Yes, adjustment is very easy.