PDA

View Full Version : Which anemone for pink skunk clowns or clarkii clowns?

canes52
03/15/2010, 12:31 PM
Wondering what is an easier anemone for my 65 gallon reef tank that I'm thinking about getting a pair of clowns for. Now I have a crocea clam and a maxima clam so i dont know if an anemone might harm them. Also whats the best way to acclimate an anemone?

Sugar Magnolia
03/15/2010, 02:04 PM
You can't go wrong with a bubble tip anemone. Entacmaea quadricolor. Acclimation techniqe is the same as any addition. Drip accclimation over a course of an hour to an hour and a half. http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/saltwaterfishdiseases/a/aaacclimatingdr.htm As far as it stinging the clams, yes it is a possibility while it roams around trying to find a comfy spot. Once it's settled, they often stay put, unless you move things about in the tank.

bues0022
03/15/2010, 03:19 PM
I'd like to add a disclaimer to drip acclimating over that long of a period of time......First, personally, I've never drip acclimated my RBTA's that long, but they came from another fellow reefer's tank, and they were all very healthy upon acquisition. They can be a bit more sensitive to water changes than a fish or another invert, but be careful with that length of time. If your drip is a simple drip (open bag into bucket, drip into bucket, pull nem out of bucket and place into tank) then you are going to want to watch the temperature of the bucket. When dripping for 1.5 hours, it is quite possible for the water to drop 10 degrees in temperature, at which case your acclimation process is defeating part of the purpose. Another method I've seen used is to drip into a bucket-in-a-bucket. Suspend a small container inside a 5 ga. salt bucket. Empty bag into smaller bucket. Drip into smaller bucket allowing overflow to go into big bucket. After acclimation time one can assume that eventually virtually all water in small container is tank water at same temp, chemistry as main DT. Then, submerge smaller container into DT for transfer of nem without ever being exposed to air. This also mitigates the risk of the smaller container getting too cold since it has a constant influx of warm tank water into a relatively small container size. It's like constantly running warm water in a bath. Good luck!

jupiter
03/15/2010, 05:22 PM
BTA isn't a natural host for pink skunks but it is for the clarkii. The LTA is a natural host to both species.