PDA

View Full Version : What size to frag my mummy eye chalice?

sks4613
03/15/2010, 06:53 PM
My mummy eye chalice is now around 4x4 with 17 eyes. I am curious as I have only purchased frags, what size should this be before I frag it. While I am not selling frags here, I am curious as to what some thing a good price might be on a 1-2 eye frag.
Thanks for the input.

Muddy35
03/16/2010, 07:46 AM
While I dont know what a mummy eye chalice runs for price wise I can tell you that yours at 4inches is ok to frag. You have to remember that you MUST include an eye with each frag otherwise the frag wont make it. Aso if this is the first time fragging a coral I wouldnt start with a chalice. You can stand to loose both the frag and arent colony if not done correctly and tank conditions arent pristine.

returnofsid
03/16/2010, 09:47 AM
Just a word of warning, asking questions or advice about pricing, can get you in trouble.

How do you plan to frag it? I typically frag my Chalices in 1/2" squares or 1" squares. However, I use a wet tile saw. I know of others who use a diamond bladed scroll saw and are able to make much more precise cuts. This would allow you to make curved cuts, if wanted.

Also, chalices are not delicate. As long as your tank is healthy, it'll heal quickly. In fact, Anthony Calfo, in his book "Book of Coral Propagation," suggests that the easiest way to frag a chalice, is to drop it on a cement floor, and pick up the pieces. Most would laugh, but he goes on to say that he's serious, and has done it this way many times.