PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Identify NEW TENANT

mcguyver
03/15/2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys

I've been running my 90g for 7 months now and this morning while looking for my new fish that was hidding in the LR I discorver this new TENANT could you please advise on what to do with this little Crab... this was the first time seeing it after 7 months...

Thash or keep or dump in the sump for keeping

The Live Rocks that I use are Vanuatu Live Rock from Australia South Pacific so the crab must be from there

Thanks MC

danielsbees
03/15/2010, 07:21 PM
That looks like an Emerald Crab to me.

J Nguyen
03/15/2010, 07:37 PM
Looks like a Gorilla Crab

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/nguyenjackky/goria.jpg

fstar25
03/15/2010, 07:38 PM
not an emerald, sorry don't know what it is, only what it is not.

Scott-CapeCoral
03/15/2010, 07:39 PM
not an emerald, sorry don't know what it is, only what it is not.

Name everything it isn't. ;)

fstar25
03/15/2010, 07:41 PM
scott-capecoral,

That was actually extremely funny and my wife was just asking me what was so funny because she thinks I'm working on a report for work lol. thanks

kevivoe
03/15/2010, 07:45 PM
scott-capecoral,

That was actually extremely funny and my wife was just asking me what was so funny because she thinks I'm working on a report for work lol. thanks

My wife also asked what was so funny.

Well, it's not a polar bear either. I can tell by the leg colors.

cubsFAN
03/15/2010, 07:53 PM
agreed. not a polar bear.

SwampyBill
03/15/2010, 08:00 PM
That's a gorilla crab & they're no good. I say get rid of it or put it in sump...

AdamR
03/15/2010, 08:10 PM
dump it!

mcguyver
03/15/2010, 08:18 PM
Looks like a Gorilla Crab

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36/nguyenjackky/goria.jpg

Sure looks like this like monster

I'll try to catch it tonight or any of you have any good tricks

:beer:

DRTutoki
03/15/2010, 09:32 PM
Emerald crab's from caribbean, does not look reef safe. +1 gorilla

mcguyver
03/15/2010, 09:48 PM
Common names: Gorilla Crab, Black Finger Crab, Xanthid Crab

Classification: In the family Xanthiidae

Basics: Range fairly widespread, found in most tropical waters. Commonly found as a hitchhiker on live rock.

Distinguishing characteristics: The carapace is oval or round in shape. The tips of the pincers are black, and as the crab ages, it becomes more hairy.

Color: Shades of white, tan, brown, with black on the pincers

Size: Crabs in this family can get up to 10cm, those these are generally < 2"

Habitat: Usually hidden in the live rock, hence the many cries of "How do I catch this hitchhiking, fish-eating crab?!"

Diet: Omnivorous, tending toward the carnivorous side. Said to nibble on coral polyps as wells as fish, shrimp, snails, etc.

Reproduction: Some species live in pairs. In this case, the male will deposit sperm in the abdominal pouch of the female, where she keeps them until they hatch.

Compatibility: Mostly considered "bad" hitchhikers, best if removed from tank. People who really want to keep them often put them in a species tank or refugium.

Words of Caution: As mentioned above, best if removed from tank before they grow to be a nuisance/danger to fish and corals.

Now I need to catch this bugger

Any IDEES

Mc

dudley moray
03/15/2010, 09:53 PM
find out where he's hiding usually under a rock with a piece of gravel used as a door and then grab it with a dip net

steelhead77
03/15/2010, 09:54 PM
Either entice it into a container of some sort with a silverside or a piece of raw shrimp or skewer it with an icepick, but get it out quick or things will begin to end up missing.

moseynme
03/15/2010, 10:20 PM
I caught mine with silverside too. Clipped it inside a net and put the net next to the crabs hidey-hole. Leave it there for a while. Mine just climbed right into the net. Yank the net...deed done! I have TBS live rock so I have had a LOT of practice LOL Worked on the 5 mantis shrimp I got too...

returnofsid
03/15/2010, 10:23 PM
Looks absolutely NOTHING like an emerald crab. However, it does look an awful lot like a gorilla crab. Kinda resembles a polar bear, except for the number of legs.

I agree that it's a gorilla crab and you wanna get it OUT!!

aktopjian
03/15/2010, 11:36 PM
Just wondering why people post something when they don't know about what something is. that doesn't look anything like emerald crab.

DevilBoy
03/15/2010, 11:39 PM
nope no emerald crab. black pointy claws and hairy, has to be a Gorilla... Ditch it! you could keep it in ur sump if you want.

mcguyver
03/16/2010, 08:06 AM
I caught mine with silverside too. Clipped it inside a net and put the net next to the crabs hidey-hole. Leave it there for a while. Mine just climbed right into the net. Yank the net...deed done! I have TBS live rock so I have had a LOT of practice LOL Worked on the 5 mantis shrimp I got too...

Sorry about the question what is a silverside... I know were the little f.... is hiding just need to catch it soon....

I could SHOPVAC the bugger out during the day when he's sleeping

Thanks for the info

goldenseal
03/16/2010, 08:21 AM
agreed. not a polar bear.

+1 Yep not a polar bear....they is white.

Im WIDELY noted for stating the obvious on the internets. :lol2:

Sugar Magnolia
03/16/2010, 08:24 AM
Just wondering why people post something when they don't know about what something is.

Post padding. ;)

Lucky for you, you found your xanthid. Mine's been hiding for over a year and has almost completely wiped out my latest clean up crew addidtion.

footballdude2k3
03/16/2010, 09:55 AM
i disagree, i think it is one of those new polar bear/grizzly bear half breeds

footballdude2k3
03/16/2010, 09:56 AM
Post padding. ;)

Lucky for you, you found your xanthid. Mine's been hiding for over a year and has almost completely wiped out my latest clean up crew addidtion.

he has been on here for 4 years and has 36 posts, i dont think he is trying to do that...

indydog1
03/16/2010, 11:24 AM
use a jar, put food in the jar and lean it on your rocks. it will smell the food and try to get it. it will slide in and not be able to get out. in the morning you should have a crab caught.

hth

moseynme
03/16/2010, 12:26 PM
Sorry about the question what is a silverside... I know were the little f.... is hiding just need to catch it soon....

I could SHOPVAC the bugger out during the day when he's sleeping

Thanks for the info

Frozen fish that you can usually buy at your LFS. Hope you catch him soon :)

mcguyver
03/16/2010, 06:26 PM
Well no luck with the Shopvac he holds on to the rock (he's very strong for a little crab) Gorilla with that name I guess So....

I guest I'll plug the hole with coralin Epoxy grey or pink I Hope the rock does not have a emrgecy exit... :mixed:

Today I guess I was like in the movie Cady Shack while Bill Murray was chasing is groundhog,,, I was chasing Gorilla Crab:beer:

knpjdad
03/17/2010, 08:14 AM
Today I guess I was like in the movie Cady Shack while Bill Murray was chasing is groundhog,,, I was chasing Gorilla Crab:beer:

I too have had this same thought when chasing the bad guys out of my tank!! LOL!!

footballdude2k3
03/17/2010, 09:24 AM
have you tried a glass with a piece of shrimp in the bottom?