PDA

View Full Version : A peppermint shrimp ok with clams or not?

piscivorous
03/15/2010, 07:54 PM
I seem to read mixed reviews on keeping peppermint shrimp with clams. What is the story?

tahoe61
03/15/2010, 07:59 PM
For the most part peppermint are supposed to be reef safe. Mine have never touch my clams, but would I add peppermint shimp to my tank again no. They ate my mini-carpet anemones.

ezcompany
03/15/2010, 09:01 PM
They are fine with healthy clams.

jd474
03/16/2010, 07:13 PM
They are fine with healthy clams.

I'd be inclined to agree with that. I know people claim they have eaten clams, but I've kept peppermints many times with several clams, and never seen them interested in eating them.

ReefSafari
03/16/2010, 09:34 PM
I have a few clams (Maximas and Derasas) and also have Peppermint and Cleaner shrimp in with them, I personally have not experienced any negative effects with the Peppermint and clams...They sometimes will climb around them causing them to close, but its not like they are going after the clams, just looking around for food...but then again, I cause them to close to when I algea clean and feed the fish...so..:hmm2:

piscivorous
03/17/2010, 07:22 AM
And what about the banded coral shrimp?

ReefSafari
03/17/2010, 07:49 AM
And what about the banded coral shrimp?

That I am not sure about, I chose to not go the Banded Coral Shrimp route as I had heard there could be issues mixing them with other shrimp, I wanted to be able to have a couple of different types in the same tank. I personally have never kept Coral Banded with Clams...

Maybe someone will chime in, I am curious as well....