PDA

View Full Version : What nem is this?

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 08:31 PM
i got this nem for pretty cheap. i bought it for $10 as a atlantic something anenome. what do u guys think?

ill post more pics when its done acclimating.

thanks

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 09:16 PM
hers more pics i got while its acclimating.

juniorjose
03/15/2010, 09:20 PM

vtysl
03/15/2010, 09:22 PM
Looks like a bubble tip. Very nice find.

fragboy94
03/15/2010, 10:15 PM
told ya jose

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 01:34 PM
no one else?

is it normal for them to hide in between the rocks?

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 01:57 PM
no one else?

is it normal for them to hide in between the rocks?

Yes, it is normal for BTA's (( E. quadricolor )) to have their foot between rocks, or in a crevice.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 03:03 PM
thanks todd. will it come all the way out soon?, there is only a little bit coming out compared to what i saw at the store. also my maroon found it just now. im not sure if hes hurting the nem or helping it, he bites it, holds on for a second, then lets go. will she bother it?

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 03:04 PM
forgot to say that it is very close to the ground. should i move it to give it more light?

thanks

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 03:04 PM
thanks todd. but the whle nem is inside, there is only a little tip coming out. also my maroon found it just now. im not sure if hes hurting the nem or helping it, he bites it, holds on for a second, then lets go. wiil she bother it?

Hard to tell from the pics..... How big is the anemone, and how big is the maroon? The anemone should be 3 times the size of the maroon --- they are known to love anemones to death.

Also, what lights do you have, and are you acclimating the anemone to your lights?

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 03:21 PM
here is some pic i took of the female when she had not found it and just a few minutes ago she found the nem. i just added the nem yesterday, not sure if she will stress it more. the nem looks alot thinner than just a few minutes ago and its hanging over a lil. i hope she doesnt kill it, its a small nem (about 2 inch across) nd a 2 inch fish.=(

so far here is what i have done ever since i got it yesterday:

i floated the bag for a whole hour (just wanted to make sure) , then i but it in a bucket with water from the bag and kept adding a small amount of water every 10 minutes for an hour. basically drip acclimation without dripping. then i put it in the tank. it diddnt want to hold on to the rock so i took some rubble that i have on the floor and made a little table for it on the ground. it stayed there till i saw it this morning when i left. when i got back from school i saw that it found a hole in between the rubble i have on the floor and only a portion of it is showing. while my maroon female was roamng around, it spotted it and checked it out a little. then is when i got scared, she got interested in the nem and got closer and bit a tenticale, held it a few seconds, then let go of it. she keeps doing it every few minutes, but now she got herself on the bta, which looks thinner and no more bubble. as for light i have 130 watt of 50/50 power compacts on a 29 gallon tank with about 50 pounds of live rock. i didnt acclimate them to the light, but yesterday it was only exposed to the lights about 2 hours then the lights went off until today at 3:00pm when it went back on. now it is 5:30pm eastern time here.

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 03:24 PM
That clown is too big for that anemone --- until it gets settled in (( and bigger )) you are going to have to find a way to separate them.

Also, what lights are you running? And are you acclimating the anemone to those lights?

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 03:34 PM
todd i edited my last post with everything for u to see. we posted at the same time so i edited it when i read ur last mesage.

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 03:39 PM
todd i edited my last post with everything for u to see. we posted at the same time so i edited it when i read ur last mesage.

Thanks.

That isn't a whole lot of light, but should work -- though might lose some of the color that it has now.

When you were putting it in the tank, did you get a chance to look at the underside of the oral disc? If so, was it smooth, or did have bumps? Everything about the anemone looks like an BTA, but that one shot of the foot has some LTA hints to it. Still think it is an BTA, but want to make sure --- that would effect placement and care.

jbud2418
03/16/2010, 03:44 PM
Nice find

Fretfreak13
03/16/2010, 03:54 PM
Advice. DONT' MOVE IT!!! They move themselves until they find a place that THEY like. My first one settled at the back of the tank and I moved it three times and it DIED. That is a beautiful nem,, by the way.

Also, how old is your tank?

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 03:58 PM
noooo....i love the color it is now man. i saw the foot of it and thought about taking a pic, bt didnt now it would help so i didnt. it looked weird though it wasnt smooth. it had a pink outer layer and the middle was light brown. the whole foot in general wasnt smooth though like those sabea anenome that glues on the glass that looks like a snails underside. what should i do about the nem and the clown todd? im really happy it hosted the nem(thought my clown was too old and lonely for a while), the nem is actually coming out now alot more (dont know if shes pushing it), but the tenticles are still some thinner and some plumper.

here are more pics i took so u can have an idea of the position of the nem on the tank. an extra pics of the nem as it came out more.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 04:48 PM
thanks for input everybody. and fretfreak god thing u said not to move it. i was about to

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 05:15 PM
Ignore the damage to the foot of this anemone, did the underside of yours look anything like this? (( mainly the "bumps" on the underside of the oral disc ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/GLTA5_20.jpg

If so, then it most like is an LTA -- which is a sand dwelling anemone.

Either way, need to keep that clown away from it -- could build a "cage" out of egg create that will keep the clown away from it. I have a feeling that if nothing is done, it won't settle in, and worse case could die.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 05:38 PM
hey todd can i lift my up and see it again, or would it bother it? i dont really remember how it looked like, do u have a pic of the bottom of a bta? i dont think it looked like that though, more complicated it was. how long should i keep it caged for? and what should i feed it? krill?

sorry for so many questions man, but im VERY happy that the clown finally hosted the nem...=) and u seem like u know a lot about nems.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 05:43 PM
would the female host it back if i caged the nem?

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 05:44 PM
About to head out for a bit, but....

For how long to leave the caged, really can't give a true time frame -- it will depend on how it settles in and how fast it grows. I don't feed my anemones (( Haddoni carpets )) all that often any more -- they are big enough -- but, when I do, I use frozen/thawed krill.

The only pic I have of a BTA's foot is a poor one, but this is it,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/FemaleMaleClarkii6.jpg

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 05:53 PM
dude u got some really nice looking nems!!!!

now that i think about it, at the store it was on the sand..
the foot was that color though. light pink and not bright like the lta.
imma take ur word for it and cage the nem, i dont want to lose it. i really like the way it looks. but im just scared she wont host it back.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 06:30 PM
hey todd. the nem is fully out now (i think). its actually bigger than the fish. do u still think its neccessary to cage it?

hers some pics of it fully out.

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 07:53 PM
well i came back to give some news. my male maroon fish found the nem too now. my maroon arent still "pairs" yet. he is trying to get in the nem but she keeps taking him out. he is doing that submissive behavior everyone talks about, twichting. she even grabbed him by the fin a couple of times but didnt hurt him. he keeps twitching to her but shes not letting him in. he is still trying though. he keeps sucking on the nem and twitches when she comes. should i do anything?

juniorjose
03/16/2010, 08:24 PM
heres a pic of him trying to get in

juniorjose
03/17/2010, 03:15 PM
heres what happened so far. the two maroons are on the nem and it lost it bubble and it is thinner too. today i cam from school and saw it on the sand. here is a pic i took:

the nem is actually about four inches wide. what i can do if this is not acceptable is that i can move the two maroon to my nano for a while. yesterday i saw that even though i built the cage the male can still slip through it. also yesterday i tried feeding the nem and it didnt take food in. is that normal for the first feeding?

thanks.

juniorjose
03/19/2010, 05:11 PM
heres some news.

i moved the maroons to the nano. the nem is alone now. for a few days it has been on it sides exposing the foot i was able to get some pics of the foot to identify it better. it looks more like the pic todd had, but the color is lighter.

i also noticed that the nem has expended more to about 5 inches. looking from atop i could see the mouth which was slightly opened and i could see some white stuff on the inside. heres a pic of that

i tried feeding it prawn the other day and it would not eat it. im not sure if thats normal for the first week. let me now, thanks:beer:

blownz281
03/20/2010, 11:04 AM
Doesn't look like any of the GBTA's I have and had. I fed mine like two days after I got them. With your lighting it might be a good idea once it settles in to feed it 1-2times a week. Just play it by ear and see how he is for awhile without the clows. He will fade quick if light is a issue. Good luck

juniorjose
03/20/2010, 11:22 AM
im still not sure what nem it is. could it be an LTA like todd's? at the store the guy said it was an atlantic anemone.

yesterday i tried feedng it and it took a piece of prawn in. it kept the mouth open and took the prawn out of the mouth. then it took it back in. it took like three hours, i couldnt really see after that because the lights went off. it also still hasnt settled in a place, every night it moves.

Toddrtrex
03/20/2010, 08:35 PM
I am pretty sure that it isn't an LTA. Maybe an H. malu, but I am not sure since I have had one of those.

But, for now I would put it on/in the sandbed, but near the rocks -- in case it wants to climb -- since I am no longer sure of the ID.

juniorjose
03/20/2010, 08:44 PM
i got bad news guys. i returned the nem today to the lfs. i was scared on what to do because no one was responding.