PDA

View Full Version : why is my one clown fish different colored than the other clownfish?

Fiyero1988
03/15/2010, 09:35 PM
My male clownfish is a yellowish orange and the female is deep orange my avatar pic shows them. Anyone know why?

garygb
03/15/2010, 10:43 PM
My guess would be that one is genetically programmed to be darker. Perhaps nutrition early on could play some role, but I think genetics is the most important variable.

Chuu
03/15/2010, 10:57 PM
different clowns are different shades of orange, nothing more to it.

Arc Katana
03/15/2010, 11:02 PM
It could be variety of reasons - depending on location where yours were collected (if they are wild caught) can be one, nutrition can be another, stress another, etc. Just feed them well and give them stable water and you really can't go wrong.

Arc Katana
03/16/2010, 12:14 AM
Just an example - why does misbarring happen? Genetics? Temp? No one really knows. Much like why does one of my Maroon's have a unicorn spot?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/members/arc-katana-albums-fish-poop-picture5691-unicorn-maroon.jpg

Just happens.

Fiyero1988
03/16/2010, 05:29 AM
Just an example - why does misbarring happen? Genetics? Temp? No one really knows. Much like why does one of my Maroon's have a unicorn spot?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/members/arc-katana-albums-fish-poop-picture5691-unicorn-maroon.jpg

Just happens.

That is a beautiful maroon. I was considering one of them. Thank you guys for the input. I guess it makes sense.

iamwhatiam52
03/16/2010, 06:17 AM
Mine look similar to yours. All four were the same color when they were tiny, but the female of my spawning pair turned a lighter/duller shade. It is not an indication of poor health. BIG MOMMA lays a huge batch of eggs every two weeks.

Fiyero1988
03/16/2010, 11:18 PM
OOOH, I can't wait for mine to spawn. The only thing that has spawned in my tank is my narsissus snails, and my peppermint shrimp. Hopefully my clowns will spawn .:dance:

Mine look similar to yours. All four were the same color when they were tiny, but the female of my spawning pair turned a lighter/duller shade. It is not an indication of poor health. BIG MOMMA lays a huge batch of eggs every two weeks.