PDA

View Full Version : Copepods only food source

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 12:10 AM
I'm wondering since its best to offer live food, can a whole system be supported on just feeding copepods. Sounds too good to be true, but if you have a large enough setup for feeding, it sounds possible.

I'm also curious as to what others are feeding their fish. I'm still in the setup stage and have started collecting equipment. but would like to look for food sources and information on feeding.

the tank would be a 90 with 55 sump. would like to keep pair of clown fish, yellow tang, and other smaller tangs.

Also love schooling fish that swim together. Can someone offer up a good type of schooling fish? How many can I have?

Jim

rgrobe
03/16/2010, 12:24 AM
Personally I don't think that copepods alone would keep a community tank alive for long. Many fish feed from the water column which does not normally provide a constant source of copepods. Fish that pick at the substrate and live rock may do better. The health of the fish is generally better when they receive a variety of foods. I would also limit the number of tangs in a 90g. Yellow tangs can get large and need a lot of space. I have a 180 with a Yellow tang that swims from on end to the other almost constantly. Also adding additional tangs will limit the availibility of algae for grazing. Green or Blue Chromis school well, seem to be a good community tank members and can be kept in groups (odd numbers seem to be better).

Navyblue
03/16/2010, 12:43 AM
If you only have a mandarin in there and a decent sized working fuge, that would work. But most of us doesn't like having only 1 small fish in a 90G.

bobparker
03/16/2010, 05:21 AM
your tangs will starve to death quickly and keeping more than one in a 90 means you will be upgrading or getting rid all but one as they grow.
Cardinals are also an interesting schooling fish.

iamwhatiam52
03/16/2010, 06:24 AM
Even if it could work, I cannot imagine a more difficult way of solving the simple problem of providing food for your fish.

ChadTheSpike
03/16/2010, 06:47 AM
Even if it could work, I cannot imagine a more difficult way of solving the simple problem of providing food for your fish.

I agree.

What you are talking about could work, but the ratio would not be a 90 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump, it would be closer to a 90 gallon tank with a 900 gallon sump (or larger).

iamwhatiam52
03/16/2010, 07:09 AM
I assumed he planned to raise the pods separately, which would take about 700 gallons of phyto culture to support 200 gallons of copepod rearing tanks = 900 gallons.

ChadTheSpike
03/16/2010, 07:26 AM
;) hehe, so its like 900 gallons either way!!

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 11:46 AM
I guess that idea is out of the question. I though it would be interesting to possible setup a self sustaining system when copepods were raised to feed the fish and the only thing you would need is to culture phyto. And yes, a seperate tank would be used to culture the pods, but i dont think i could havea 900 gallon tank to feed a 90, i would rather have a 900 gallon tank and offer the fish frozen food. Hahah.

JeF4y
03/16/2010, 11:59 AM
you can set it up as a self-sustaining system for, say, a mandarin. But you're still going to end up feeding the rest of the crowd (who will also snack on the pods whenever they see one).

pledosophy
03/16/2010, 12:27 PM
I guess that idea is out of the question. I though it would be interesting to possible setup a self sustaining system when copepods were raised to feed the fish and the only thing you would need is to culture phyto. And yes, a seperate tank would be used to culture the pods, but i dont think i could havea 900 gallon tank to feed a 90, i would rather have a 900 gallon tank and offer the fish frozen food. Hahah.

I have been doing this since June.

Everything is contained in the system, there is no outside culturing done.

I have a 34g tank filled with macro algaes, and a 25g sump/refugium that has a descent amount of algae and liverock as well.

The tank contains a coris wrasse and a peppermint shrimp. The only thing I add to the system is water to the top off, two part,a nd some seachem pH booster.

JME

IMO you could not do this in a 90g with what you are talking about keeping.

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 08:25 PM
do fish each macro algae, it seems like people trim the macro alge once it grows to a certain size. would that help in achines a self contained system.

maybe if i keep fewer fish it would be possible. the 55 i plan on using 16 inces for skimmer, 22 inches for fuge and the 10 inch for return. i would think that a lot of pods can be grownin a 22x12x15 space.

Navyblue
03/16/2010, 08:47 PM
I guess hair algae is considered as macro algae. If you have a small tang in a 90G full of it, it will be decimated in a matter of weeks.

With that size of fuge and display tank, I would not be comfortable with even 2 pod eating fishes without feeding, assuming you have tonnes of LR in the display with lots of area that that the fish can't reach and pods can grow. I had a bicoclor angel in a 120G, and when it was there it's hard for me to find a pod in the display, now without it the display is full of pods, and I feed my fishes. It doesn't take much at all to wipe out the pod population in display tank.