PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead Tool? Wrench?

Footbag
03/16/2010, 06:29 AM
Should I just use a metal wrench on a leaky bulkhead?

Just got my system setup and started the fill when I noticed the factory overflow bulkhead is leaking. Any tips for fixing it? It's the Marineland kit.

Edit: Noticed it's both the return and overflow bulkheads that were leaking. I only hand tightened them, so maybe that's the problem?

Jeff
03/16/2010, 06:58 AM
Be careful using a wrench. They are easy to crack if you go too far with a tool.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 07:13 AM
What is the best method for tightening bulkheads down? I thought hand tightening would be enough. I was thinking I need like a 1/4 turn.

patsfan1130
03/16/2010, 07:31 AM
what side do you have the gasket on? a bit more than hand tight is all I have ever had to do.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 07:43 AM
what side do you have the gasket on? a bit more than hand tight is all I have ever had to do.

The gasket is on the inside. I never disassembled it after I got it because there isn't much space on the inside to get my hands.

slief
03/16/2010, 07:57 AM
I use a long screw driver and a hammer. Position the screw driver near the edge of the flat spot on the nut and top it lightly with the hammer to tighten down the nut. I have done that dozens of times without an issue. Just dont over do it.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 08:09 AM
Do you typically have to tighten it down more then by hand? I had installed another bulkhead below my tank, and that one appears to be holding find with just a hand tighten.

Wondering if I'll be adding salt or draining the tank tonight. :(

slief
03/16/2010, 09:42 AM
I always go past hand tight.

Jake007
03/16/2010, 10:08 AM
I also snug tighter than hand tight with the bulkhead tool. I don't want any surprise leaks.

I have cracked one during maintenance by moving a soft pipe to access my sump pump... just a little side pressure and crack.... time to drain the overflow and repair.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 10:26 AM
Well, I don't have any sort of plastic bulkhead wrench so I'll probably use a large pipe wrench. Borrowing one from someone at work and hope to fix it tonight. I'd hate to have to replace the stock bulkhead. Mostly because I'm not sure if I can find them locally.

Tonynlo
03/16/2010, 10:52 AM
If you are leaking, I would check the seal. I have always tightened by hand and have never had leaks.

d0ughb0y
03/16/2010, 11:09 AM
is your leak coming from the bulkhead flange or from the pipe connection? the flange itself should not leak just by hand tightening. perhaps you just need to replace the gasket.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 11:13 AM
is your leak coming from the bulkhead flange or from the pipe connection? the flange itself should not leak just by hand tightening. perhaps you just need to replace the gasket.

It appears to be coming from the flange. Unfortunately, the way it's plumbed, replacing the gasket will require me to cut my plumbing and replace the bulkhead.

I don't really mind doing that, because this makes me think I should have a union in there, but it will be a lot of work. Hopefully the 1/4 turn will fix it, otherwise, I'll have my work cut out for me.

d0ughb0y
03/16/2010, 11:26 AM
as for tool, I have used groove joint pliers to loosen stuck bulkhead nut for removal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44874

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/44800-44899/44874.gif

Footbag
03/16/2010, 11:35 AM
as for tool, I have used groove joint pliers to loosen stuck bulkhead nut for removal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44874

http://images.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/44800-44899/44874.gif

I have one of them, but I think a pipe wrench might put a little less pressure on it. Hope to give it a shot as soon as I get out of work.

When the water hits the bulkhead, it does come out fairly quickly. More then a drop / second. I'm hoping it can be fixed with a tighten.

psykobowler
03/16/2010, 12:04 PM
I use an oil filter plier especially for 2" bulkheads.

Footbag
03/16/2010, 01:59 PM
I think I got it! Used a pipe wrench and only had to tighten it up an eighth to a quarter turn. It was a bit looser then it shouldve been, and I probably could've tightened it a bit more, but I didn't want to break it. I can always tighten, but if it breaks, it breaks.

Back to filling it up... Woo hoo!