PDA

View Full Version : UPS I hate you

Sullyman
03/16/2010, 09:42 AM
I had a nice pair of white bonnets arrive today, dead thanks to the apes at ups. They called this moring to let me know that my package was leaking, one fish was dead the other not in much water and a small one was alive. I don't know if they opened the box or if it was destroyed.
They wanted me to pick up the fish, my wife was ready for work so she went and got the fish, they didn't give us the original box. All the fish are dead, not only the fact that it was $750 worth of fish, but the rarity and availability make this a very bad day.
The only good news is that I found a good source for clowns and after this is rectified I'll share info about them. So far the customer service has been excelent.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 09:50 AM
I hate you!!!!!!!!

not really but damn

You could have left them at the store so i could have bought them!!!!!

That sucks man i was eyeing up the small male to partner with my female but you got to them just before i did.

jasonrp104
03/16/2010, 09:56 AM
Is a white bonnet a color morph? I'm not familiar with them

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 10:03 AM
Its a luecokranos.

Its a supposed cross between orange skunk and blue stripe clowns.

Sullyman
03/16/2010, 10:20 AM
You know at this point I wish you had the fish, it wouldn't be dead. Brian told me about you, sorry, these aren't easy to find.
I was just talking with Brian and UPS repacked the fish somewhere, it's not the box he shipped out, no heat packs in it. Brian said that he was up and checked the status around 6:30 ET and it was listed on truck out for delivery but I get a call around 8:30 CT that the box is leaking so come get the fish. They may have repacked it in Nj and shipped it without heat packs, never going to know. What a waste.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 10:25 AM
I feel for ya man...

I hope UPS does something but be careful because ur not supposed to ship live animals as we all know.

That was the nicest pair i have seen in 15 years.

Brian knows his stuff, he shipping my breeding pair of akinydos for me.

Do me a favor and if you still have the fish take pictures for WDLV. that pair was gorgeous.

Sullyman
03/16/2010, 10:35 AM
Since it happened before I recieved the fish, I'm ok but Brian said he won't get anything from UPS, He said he got a message about not packing the box correctly this morning and that they never notify him that fast. The little male was alive but breathing real heavy, died while I was acclimating. They are on ice, not sure if Walt wants to see them dead.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 11:57 AM
I sent him pics of my luec when it came DOA. Just to document the markings.

criccio
03/16/2010, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear about that Sully. Hopefully whatever went wrong will be corrected before the next pair are shipped out.

Sullyman
03/16/2010, 12:17 PM
Chris that's the sad part, I think they were packed fine, just not in a steel box.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 12:20 PM
I feel so bad for ya.

Were they packed together or seperate?

Sullyman
03/16/2010, 12:34 PM
All 3 fish arrived in seperate bags with only about 2" of water. The female leuk was supposedly alive but in very little water, even though I told them they were saltwater fish, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add some tap water to the bag. The box that my wife picked up had a shipping label on it, with, live fish hurry written on it. So someone at ups repacked the fish in a new box, put a label on it and the note about fish, but where that was done????

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 12:42 PM
All three went down?

Chuu
03/16/2010, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure you can blame UPS, it's against their policy to ship live animals isn't it?

You take the risk, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose :(

Sucks for your fish.

criccio
03/16/2010, 12:59 PM
I know there is pro's and con's for both, but I have had very good luck with Fed Ex, and I have them hold my packages at the hub that's about a mile from my house so I can pick up first thing in the morning.

It does suck a little extra losing such a rarity though. I had the most spectacular pair about six years ago that I lost to brook, I'm still not completely over the loss.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 01:01 PM
No matter how you lose them it still sucks.

Reefvette
03/16/2010, 01:07 PM
No matter how you lose them it still sucks.

Sullyman
03/17/2010, 03:28 PM
I talked to Brian today and as he said he would, he refunded all money paid for the 3 fish.
He's a great person to work with and has a lot of experience and knowledge to share.
I hope he can find replacements for the ones UPS killed, it won't be easy, but I would buy from him at Ocean gallery again, and I hope soon. They get C-Quest onyx in and Cristoclowns among others obviously. Looks like it would be a nice place to see but Jersy is long way from sweet home Chicago.

Mounda
03/17/2010, 04:09 PM
I talked to Brian today and as he said he would, he refunded all money paid for the 3 fish.
He's a great person to work with and has a lot of experience and knowledge to share.
I hope he can find replacements for the ones UPS killed, it won't be easy, but I would buy from him at Ocean gallery again, and I hope soon. They get C-Quest onyx in and Cristoclowns among others obviously. Looks like it would be a nice place to see but Jersy is long way from sweet home Chicago.

Now that is quality service !

lougotzz
03/17/2010, 04:47 PM
How did you acclimate it if there was no water in the bag?

All 3 fish arrived in seperate bags with only about 2" of water. The female leuk was supposedly alive but in very little water, even though I told them they were saltwater fish, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add some tap water to the bag. The box that my wife picked up had a shipping label on it, with, live fish hurry written on it. So someone at ups repacked the fish in a new box, put a label on it and the note about fish, but where that was done????

I don't get what you wanted them to do?

Sullyman
03/17/2010, 09:03 PM
Two of the fish had already been acclimated to dead. The male Leuk was very small and had a little more water but laying on his side and beathing really fast, he was a gonner in a very short time. They were too cold and oxygen deprived, the Latz looks like she suffocated, the Leuks a combination.
I obviously was ranting and there's a lot more but it won't change what happened.

Trademark
03/17/2010, 09:15 PM
I hate reading post like this. I personally ahve never received fish by mail. I am assuming that there is no carrier that will insure these packages? This just sucks-- I'll drive to get my fish,, this weekend I'm Chicago bound for fish 3hour drive ,,,

zaraemna
03/17/2010, 09:23 PM

Sorry about your loss.

It sounds like UPS tried to do what they could by repacking the fish in a new box. Even if the package wasn't damaged, but wet from water leaking out they would repackage it. Wet boxes are imediately set aside and a hazmat trained employee puts it in a tub and opens it up to make sure there aren't any chemicals leaking. Then the contents are repackaged if possible. A leaking package can shut down a huge part of their operation and damage other customers goods.

I don't see what else they could do beside rebag and box the package, put a note on it, and call you to pick it up. It sounds like they went the extra mile for you and the fish. If one of the bags started to leak on it's own how is it their fault.

Sullyman
03/17/2010, 11:33 PM
Brian tracked it at 7am our time and it was shown as on truck out for delivery.
I checked his seals on 2 of the bags, I cut the top off the bag with the male Leuk.
Brian's banding didn't leak but as you can see in these pics, water's awful low.
If you think damaging a package is going the extra mile then they ran a marathon for me.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010024-2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010025-2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010027-2.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010031-3.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010032-3.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/sullyman5004/P1010036-2.jpg

criccio
03/18/2010, 06:50 AM
A latz as well, what a shame.

LargeAngels
03/18/2010, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Sullyman;16791692]I checked his seals on 2 of the bags, I cut the top off the bag with the male Leuk.
Brian's banding didn't leak but as you can see in these pics, water's awful low.
QUOTE]

If his seals didn't leak then how did the water and air leak out? I've gotten packages before in which it was the seals that leaked causing the box to get wet. My Fedex guy is really good and he rushed one box to me cause it was wet and water was leaking. The box had not been opened by Fedex and there was no damage whatsoever, but when I opened the box the seals on the bag had leaked and the fish were dead.

What type of seals (rubber bands, metal) and how many bags? Best way to do it is to use multiple bags and place each one inside the other alternating the direction of the sealed opening.

Either way that really sucks as those where very nice fish.

zaraemna
03/18/2010, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't add some tap water to the bag.

I checked his seals on 2 of the bags, I cut the top off the bag with the male Leuk.
If you think damaging a package is going the extra mile then they ran a marathon for me.

Why do you think they added tap water if the banding was still on the bags? Were the fish double bagged? It doesn't look like it in the pictures, but maybe you already took one off. Every package of frags I've recieved was double bagged and also had a large bag around all the others inside the styrofoam box. Was the styrofoam box damaged or missing?
The water level looks low to me too.

Sullyman
03/18/2010, 10:24 AM
They were double bagged and the tops of the 2 bags I tested held water not even a drip.
The bags that the female leuk came in had a hole in the outer bag but I couldn't find one on the inside bag but it could have been a pin hole and I was aggravated.
What I'm trying to get across is that Brian's packing job was fine, the box had to have been really damaged and that caused the problems with what was inside. Plastice bags just don't start leaking.
He's been shipping Wyoming whites to Asia in large numbers, I think he knows how to pack for shipping. I didn't get to see the original shipping box but many are water tight these days, even a styro taped around the lid will hold water.
UPS didn't find a wet box, they smashed a box and killed these fish. Accidents happen, not saying it was intentional, but blaming Brian's packing is wrong.

WDLV
03/18/2010, 11:28 AM
Do me a favor and if you still have the fish take pictures for WDLV. that pair was gorgeous.

Good lookin' out B.
...and yes I would like to use any pics you might have taken.

I'm sorry about your misfortune. I have only had problems with UPS. I think they do that scat on purpose. They mis-routed one of my shipments and I wound up speaking with the regional manager to rectify the problem in a big fat hurry. The delivery guy was huffing and puffing and peeved... I was close to givin' brown some Tae Kwon Do on his fourth point of contact. When I opened the box one of the bags was almost totally drained and the fish was gasping. Needless to say, it didn't even get properly acclimated.
The bottom line is that they not only lost my business for shipping livestock, I won't ship with them at all. I usually e-mail people shipping labels rather than receive something through UPS.

I have a FedEx account. I have never lost a fish I've shipped and do not recall losing one I've received. Also, when FedEx has been a little later than 0800, they have reimbursed me the full amount. They even reimbursed one of my vendors, who in turn reimbursed me!!!

EDIT: Just saw the pics you posted. What a friggin' shame. I'd like five minutes alone in a small room with whomever thinks they're clever poking holes in those bags. BTW, I believe mine was "re-packaged" by UPS too.

Sullyman
03/18/2010, 11:37 AM
Walt, the fish are on ice so to speak. I'll take some pics for you and send them to you.
Thanks for your earlier advice, too bad I didn't get to use it.

PSam
03/18/2010, 11:45 AM
latezonatus to boot. I'd be furious.

WDLV
03/18/2010, 11:46 AM
Thank you!

Reefvette
03/18/2010, 12:06 PM
Its funny when i saw they were for sale i almost called walt to see if he wanted to take the large female and ill take the male.

How were they bagged?

Walt i almost sold that two mouthed mag, to pick them up.

StillerNat
03/18/2010, 12:17 PM
i ordered a pair of snows and the UPS driver put them on the doorstep of my neighbors house on a cold November day. i was seeing red as well. thank god i was staring out my window all morning to wait for them to arrive. i ran out the door to the driver and she actually went back and grabbed the box and gave it to me after she aplogized for delivering it to house #2 not #5. i would have lost $400 with those 2, so i feel your pain. i hope you get them replaced soon.
when re you gonna post the place you bought them from? i lost one of my snows and want to replace it. i am near philly and would love a closer place to buy from.

WDLV
03/18/2010, 12:33 PM
Shoot, you can prolly get snowflakes down here in MD. I saw some at Exotic Aquatics a few weeks ago if memory serves. They're getting pretty commonplace.

That place Sullman and Reefvette got their leucs from seem to be getting a lot proportionally but they're awfully proud of 'em. $$$