PDA

View Full Version : When adults, any of these too large for 34g?

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 10:51 AM
I am putting together my possible stock list and wanted to make sure they would all be suitable. I will choose 2-4 total most likely(depending on size of choices).
34g Solano rimless mixed reef.

Please comment either way on any on the list:

Green Chromis
Limbaugh's Chromis
Lined Chromis

Spinyhead Blennie
Lawnmower Blennie

Wheeler's shrimp goby
Yellow shrimp goby
Orange-spotted goby

Citron clown goby
Green clown goby

Helfrich's Firefish
Purple Firefish

Blue-spotted Jawfish
Yellowhead Jawfish

Yellow Assessor

Fridmani Orchid Dottyback
Magenta Dottyback
Splendid Dottyback

Red margin fairy wrasse
Lined fairy wrasse
Laboute's fairy wrasse
Temmidus fairy wrasse

Potter's Leopard wrasse

Filamented flasher wrasse
Blue flasher wrasse
McCosker's flasher wrasse
Carpenter's flasher wrasse
Lyretail flasher wrasse
DotandDash flasher wrasse
Cyaneous flasher wrasse
Yellowfin flasher wrasse
Eightline flasher wrasse

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0852640x480.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/E-A-G-L-E-S/IMG_0853640x480.jpg

AuroraDrvr
03/16/2010, 10:58 AM
Aside from the Leopard wrasse, they'd all be fine. Though, you'll likely loose them to jumping long before they outgrow the tank.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 11:05 AM
Are all wrasse's jumpers?
Any more predispositioned to do so than others?
I could use the top, but I am afraid it would cook the tank with no chiller.
I should try it for a couple days and note the temps.

MikeandNicole
03/16/2010, 11:10 AM
You can make a top out of screen or eggcrate which will not increase temp at all. I had to make one for our 30g because we have a blue spot jawfish and a mystery wrasse in there. I did not want to lose either of those to jumping.

I have had experience with helfrichis, gold assessors, dottybacks, shrimp gobies, and the BSJ all in tanks smaller then a 34g.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 11:13 AM
What is the best option as far as allowing the most light through to the tank? I am just running a 150w HQI 14K so I need as much of its' PAR as I can get.

wrasseguy2
03/16/2010, 11:17 AM
Red margin fairy wrasse
Lined fairy wrasse
Laboute's fairy wrasse
these three will get to big for that tank i would not put those fairys in that small of a tank..after keeping one you would see how much they swim and are very active and as adults these all reach 5" and the alboutei gets a bit larger..the last fairy you have i have never seen a name for at latin name would be more helpfull..with that being said with almost all the wrasses you are going to need a top and for sure with fairy and flashers..just no way around it they are expert jumpers..the fire fish are jumpers as well...i wold also leave off the leopard wrasse as well..the other fish you have listed should be fine..not sure what a Lyretail flasher wrasse is and good luck finding an eightline you don't see those very often and i have not seen any for sale for almost a year now

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 11:24 AM
Sorry, that is a Cirrhilabrus temminckii(male only).
Temminck's fairy wrasse.

So you reccomend no fairy wrasse at all and the Potter's leopard wrasse is out :(.
The Lyretail flasher wrasse is Paracheilinus angulatus.
So the flasher wrasse's would be good with a top(as well as firefish), and the rest of the list is good?

LobsterOfJustice
03/16/2010, 11:50 AM
Pretty much only the chromis, blennies, and assessor are okay in a rimless tank. Jawfish and wrasses WILL be on the floor within a month.

anbosu
03/16/2010, 11:57 AM
Search for bradleyj and bird netting. It doesn't really block any light and you can make it low profile so it won't take away from your tank's aesthetics.

snorvich
03/16/2010, 12:04 PM
You can make a top out of screen or eggcrate which will not increase temp at all. I had to make one for our 30g because we have a blue spot jawfish and a mystery wrasse in there. I did not want to lose either of those to jumping.

I have had experience with helfrichis, gold assessors, dottybacks, shrimp gobies, and the BSJ all in tanks smaller then a 34g.

Mesh which is 1/4 inch holes will work but egg crate will not keep firefish, jawfish, or wrasses in the tank.

wrasseguy2
03/16/2010, 12:08 PM
i use the same thing that brad uses and it works great..i got all the stuff at home depot for cheap..need netting with 1/4" holes anything larger won't work and eggcrate is for sure not going to work..also the temminckii is out as well..if you want to keep a fairy try one of the smaller ones like the lubbocki or rubriventralis

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys, I will head to home depot after work.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 12:24 PM
Pretty much only the chromis, blennies, and assessor are okay in a rimless tank. Jawfish and wrasses WILL be on the floor within a month.

I will use the mesh to allow the light but block the jumping.

MikeandNicole
03/16/2010, 01:22 PM
I agree that eggcrate can be to big, that is why I have a layer of mesh over the eggcrate at this point. Eventually I will get rid of the eggcrate and just use a screen. The BSJ was kind of an impulse buy so I overbuilt the cover to start.

velvetelvis
03/16/2010, 02:48 PM
I think the chromis will be too active for a 34. Plus I've seen some good-size chromis before.

IFbettas
03/16/2010, 04:14 PM
Filamented flasher will get too big for your tank. I have seen filamented flashers in the 5" range. The eightline flasher is the most aggressive flasher and would not make a very good choice in a smaller tank.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/16/2010, 05:43 PM
Green Chromis dont get too big for a 34g in my past experience.

The eightline flasher is supposedly rare, so it would have been hard to get one of those anyways. I'll keep the filamented adult size possibility in mind.

IFbettas
03/16/2010, 07:05 PM
The eightline flasher is supposedly rare, so it would have been hard to get one of those anyways. I'll keep the filamented adult size possibility in mind.

It is actually a pretty easy fish to find; you might not find it all the time at the online retailers though. Most stores can get you one when they receive shipments from the red sea.

wrasseguy2
03/16/2010, 07:36 PM
It is actually a pretty easy fish to find; you might not find it all the time at the online retailers though. Most stores can get you one when they receive shipments from the red sea.

wow i need to shop at your stores then because i been looking for a couple of them and can't find one..looked at online and stores and there are a ton of great stores in michigan and the detroit metro area and still can't find any....they can get all kinds of other great harder to find wrasses but i very rarely see eightlines at all..i have one male now..and i got it from a fellow reefer with a trade of another wrasse that i had..but yes i have seen some large filamented

nikon187
03/16/2010, 07:52 PM
Come up to canada, there was one on the list today when we ordered :)

29reef
03/16/2010, 09:26 PM
I suggest a two spot hogfish if you really want a "wrasse" type fish.

You need to start building a net for the top. Most all fish will jump at one time or another.

IFbettas
03/16/2010, 09:52 PM
wow i need to shop at your stores then because i been looking for a couple of them and can't find one..looked at online and stores and there are a ton of great stores in michigan and the detroit metro area and still can't find any....they can get all kinds of other great harder to find wrasses but i very rarely see eightlines at all...

I think most stores will not bring this fish in unless it is a special order. If you ask around enough, you should be able to find a store in your area that can order one for you, atleast a male. Finding a female, on the otherhand, has not worked out for me yet, even though I have tried for quite a while. The stores that I shop at often have eightlines on the list when they are ordering the usual red sea fish (purple tangs, sohal tangs, etc.).

wrasseguy2
03/17/2010, 07:46 AM
i can get anything special ordered that i want..i have a very good relationship with 5 of the stores around here and 3 of them i have shopped with them over 7 years now..so that is not a problem and i look on the list when they get the red sea stuff in....just have not seen them..like i said other cool stuff hase been on there just no eightlines...i want a couple females myself and only found one 4 years ago but it jumped on me...so i don't need a male but i don't see them for sale either..but i look every weeek

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 09:27 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome back! I really like the rockscape you have going on in that tank. :thumbsup:

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/17/2010, 10:02 AM
I suggest a two spot hogfish if you really want a "wrasse" type fish.

You need to start building a net for the top. Most all fish will jump at one time or another.

I bought the window mesh screen material last night. I am just not a fan of hogfish.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/17/2010, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome back! I really like the rockscape you have going on in that tank. :thumbsup:

Thanks and thank you!

An MP10 will be replacing the tiny Seio 320 the day I get my first fish or coral.

iamwrasseman
03/17/2010, 10:09 PM
i can comment on the wrasses as the rest will be fine if your keeping your stock list to a few . the wrasses suggested will be fine although they will not be happy because of the size of your tank . if you can get very small ones they will be fine for a couple of years at least but the potters will get large for that tank and it needs to be covered very well also as many have already commented on that . i would do the bluespotted jaw fish a dottyback and two wrasses and even kick in a golby or two and you should be fine IMO . by the way nice tank and rock setup so have fun with that and good luck .

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/17/2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks.
Also, anyone that knows me knows that within 12 months I will have a larger tank. :)

iamwrasseman
03/17/2010, 10:28 PM
the red sea eight line flasher wrasse is so cool as i have had a pair for some years and they are great tankmates .heres a picture of mine .

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/18/2010, 09:30 AM
It's like a BETA on steroids. :)
Great looking fish!

Ooulophilia
03/18/2010, 05:11 PM
I would skip the Blue Spot Jaw - beautiful fish but IMO they do not survive in captivity. i have had literally thousands of them pass through my hands and have talked to maybe 2 people who have kept them for more than 6 months.

I suspect it is a collection/holding thing - they all seem to get infections on their tails. Anyway, I would replace him with a dusky jawfish - one of my favorite fish - so much personality :)

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/18/2010, 07:57 PM
O.k., I dont ever see dusky jawfish locally, but I do see yellowhead.
Will keep in mind just incase though.
I have alwyas been squeemish of buying fish online, I like to see them in an LFS for a week or so and eating.

seafansar
03/18/2010, 08:06 PM
I think that size tank would be too small for a orange-spotted goby. Also, here's a picture of the mesh tops I made for my tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/_eyesthatstare_/150%20gallon/P7170258.jpg

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/18/2010, 08:13 PM
I agree, not the biggest fan either, but it was on the original list.
Thanks for the input Sara.

velvetelvis
03/18/2010, 09:03 PM
I've heard of dottybacks attacking wrasses--something about wrasses being predators on dottyback egg clutches in the wild. Something to keep in mind, maybe.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/18/2010, 11:00 PM
Decided to start with one of theses two:
fridmani orchid dottyback -or- neon dottyback (both captive bred and raised)

velvetelvis
03/19/2010, 07:07 AM
I'd go with the fridmani; they're universally reported to be one of the most peaceful species. Neon dottybacks are beautiful but vicious little bastiges that will attack other fish and kill inverts.

E-A-G-L-E-S
03/19/2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info, fridmani it is!

Ooulophilia
03/19/2010, 02:19 PM
agreed on the pseudo - the long body ones are a lot less pugnacious - i have 2 fridmanis in my 240 - they usually hate each other but once every two months they will pair up

Where do you live? PM me and I will get a dusky jaw to your LFS :)

Jewells
03/20/2010, 12:51 PM

I just recently purchased a Bicolor Blenny and was told and have read the Blenny can be a jumper too. I would screen it if I were you just to be on the safe side with any fish really.

MikeandNicole
03/20/2010, 01:30 PM
Go with the orchid, we have at different points had an orchid dottyback and a neon dottyback. The neon can be very aggressive in a nano, the orchid was not too bad. Just make sure you are getting the orchid dottyback and not the purple pseudocromis. The purple pseudos are incredibly aggressive.