PDA

View Full Version : Marco Rock, anyone used it?

Jadams
03/16/2010, 11:05 AM
Im thinking about trying some Marco Rock in my new tank im setting up. Anyone here tried it before? Ive heard good reviews, but would like to hear from someone on here who's used it.

How long does it take to color up/cure? Any help is much appreciated! Pics would be awesome of beginning/current time frame if anyone has them??

Thanks!

rbnice1
03/16/2010, 11:21 AM
Many people on here have used it. I used all there dry fiji rock to set up my old 90 then for my new 155. Best dry rock on the market. Some of the best customer service on the market as well. I wanted some custom sizes. and they actually hand picked out pieces that matched my sizes and then took pics for me to see them.

workman
03/16/2010, 11:42 AM
I ordered a 50# box of fiji from Marco, and it is beautiful. Not sure if they have it any more. I cured it in my display as it was a new build and seeded with existing rock from my old tank. I would say it took about six months be indistinguishable from older rock. A year later and it if fully colored up.

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 11:48 AM
i didn't ask for specific size, but I did order 150lbs of this stuff just the other day. got some great reviews from people on this and other boards. I'm excited and cant wait till friday when the shipment is expect in.

paja4
03/16/2010, 11:56 AM
Great product, and Marc is a great person to deal with!

JeF4y
03/16/2010, 11:56 AM
It's good rock. Great shapes, definitely a good value, and Marc has fantastic service.

As for curing and colorup, that totally depends on you...

reeftanker10
03/16/2010, 11:59 AM
It's AWESOME...I loved it. i ordered a 15 lbs of nano and 15 lbs of rubble and with the two was able to do some pretty cool aquscaping....Really light for how big it is so you get a lot more rock than expected....I'll buy from them again

pledosophy
03/16/2010, 12:06 PM
I would also check out some of the new rock that is coming into the hobby. It is incredibly light for it's size. I went to pick up a rock at Rose City and based on the size thought the rock was going to 30-40lbs easy, it was 5.5. The rock was close to the size of a volleyball, a bit smaller.

The rock being so light and it's very porus surface area makes it perfect for aquariums IMO.

Using dead or dry rock does have it's benefit. You don't get the hitchikers, and it is hella cheap. Some of the shapes and stuff Marc is doing are pretty rad too.

But it also lacks the anaerobic bacteria growth that help it with filtration. Growing this bacteria can take quite a long time, it's not the normal cycling time.

If your really not going to stock the tank with much of anything until you get back fromt he academy this might work out pretty well for you.

JMO

Jadams
03/16/2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Pleder, yeah im thinking about getting some forsure. I might have to make a willcall stop at MarineDepot tomorrow :)

pledosophy
03/16/2010, 08:26 PM
Have you checked out that shop in Cheno that makes there own dry rock? If you picked it up I bet you could get a better deal, and you get to enjoy the smell of Cheno. Can't beat the smell of Cheno, will bring back memories of how your ex girlfriend smelled. . . :eek:

:dance::dance::dance:

BTW I made arrangements for a deal on a chiller, 2 ice caps, and a dart today. We're going to have some fun when you come up, but we may be eating ramen.

poolkeeper1
03/16/2010, 09:02 PM
I would also check out some of the new rock that is coming into the hobby. It is incredibly light for it's size. I went to pick up a rock at Rose City and based on the size thought the rock was going to 30-40lbs easy, it was 5.5. The rock was close to the size of a volleyball, a bit smaller.

The rock being so light and it's very porus surface area makes it perfect for aquariums IMO.

Using dead or dry rock does have it's benefit. You don't get the hitchikers, and it is hella cheap. Some of the shapes and stuff Marc is doing are pretty rad too.

But it also lacks the anaerobic bacteria growth that help it with filtration. Growing this bacteria can take quite a long time, it's not the normal cycling time.

If your really not going to stock the tank with much of anything until you get back fromt he academy this might work out pretty well for you.

JMO

I just set up a 36X24X16H Rimless W/40gal Sump and used 90lbs of Marco Rock, Which Is the best stacking rock I've ever used In 30 yrs In the hobby
After seeding with 4 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of Live sand I started stocking with 6 Sm damsels. After 3 day's and no Cycle I started adding SPS at the rate of around 10 frags per day for several day's, Then let It get a break for a week then I added all the frags I had from another tank totaling 80 frags and some Sm colonies. This tank has just had It's one month birthday and all frags are doing great with vibrant color and good growth and everything already encrusting on the rock. The Coralline has just started to take hold at the 3 week mark and I do have some Diatom and green stringy Algae but the new CUC will be here on Thursday and fully take care of that. The point being this rock Is so clean and pure with no undesirable hitchhikers that I will use nothing else In the future. The cost savings are huge and you get a better product In the long run. In a year you won't be able to tell this from 10.00 lb L/R Personally the stuff ROCKS
Bill:dance::thumbsup::dance:

ladi8t3r
03/16/2010, 09:18 PM
I've ordered Marco rocks before. I can't stress that his customer service is top notch. If you have specific requests he'll work with you the best he can. He did for me at least and I'm no one special. Plus I got some great pieces.

Saltcity
03/16/2010, 09:21 PM
I just got my first shipment of Marco rock and it is Nice rock!!

I called and left him a message and he called me back as he was entering the airport, really nice guy and willing to help out anyway he can!