PDA

View Full Version : just a question about breeding

reeftanker10
03/16/2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not saying i'm going to do this i am just wondering...If you have a tank with only the pair of fish and they breed will the fry survive in the main tank?

autogirl
03/16/2010, 02:29 PM
the fry well most likely be eaten by the father

ctenophors rule
03/16/2010, 04:47 PM
"I'm not saying i'm going to do this i am just wondering...If you have a tank with only the pair of fish and they breed will the fry survive in the main tank? "-reeftanker10

this is a very vague question. infact so vague that i wouldn't recomend you breeding anything, or even thinking about it until you do more research.

however it all depends on the species being bred. dwarf seahorses are kept in very small tanks to begin with, and the adults and juveniles can be fed the same food. theirfore in this case they may be kept in the same tank.

their are three main reasons why it shouldn't happen in other cases.

1. feeding density

2. predation

3. water quality. (somewhat related to 1)

-----1 the food density in larval tanks must be kept high. this makes it difficult to rear them in large tanks. most of your broodstock will require tanks above 5-10 gallons, the recomended larval size to support food density. if you go much larger than this it quickly tedious and costly to feed. the added bioload of all that food also hinders water quality greaty.

-----2 "the fry well most likely be eaten by the father"-trenton grl.

as trenton girl said the fry will most likely be eaten. in some cases like with bangai cardinals, and other mouth brooders, the chance of fry being eaten while gestation is higher for males. however after the fry are hatched it is fair game, both males and females that feed on larval fish, will feed on them equaly.

-----3. water quality is essential to raising healthy livestock. to put a bio demand as high as stocking a brood stock tank with high densities of larval food would require extensize amounts of water changes.

very few fish are compatible with all three of the reasons described above. (in fact the only one i can think of is the dwarf seahorse, and maybe hippocampus barbouri, though It would still be a stretch) for that reason, please dont try it!

Arc Katana
03/16/2010, 05:00 PM
Short answer: Probably not

eclown
03/16/2010, 06:59 PM
Not to mention the environment they will have to overcome....powerheads, overflows, sump pumps, skimmers, etc. I would be amazed at anyone who ends up with fry surviving...the sump might be a shot in a million.

ArmanS
03/16/2010, 10:46 PM
"I'm not saying i'm going to do this i am just wondering...If you have a tank with only the pair of fish and they breed will the fry survive in the main tank? "-reeftanker10

this is a very vague question. infact so vague that i wouldn't recomend you breeding anything, or even thinking about it until you do more research.

however it all depends on the species being bred. dwarf seahorses are kept in very small tanks to begin with, and the adults and juveniles can be fed the same food. theirfore in this case they may be kept in the same tank.

their are three main reasons why it shouldn't happen in other cases.

1. feeding density

2. predation

3. water quality. (somewhat related to 1)

-----1 the food density in larval tanks must be kept high. this makes it difficult to rear them in large tanks. most of your broodstock will require tanks above 5-10 gallons, the recomended larval size to support food density. if you go much larger than this it quickly tedious and costly to feed. the added bioload of all that food also hinders water quality greaty.

-----2 "the fry well most likely be eaten by the father"-trenton grl.

as trenton girl said the fry will most likely be eaten. in some cases like with bangai cardinals, and other mouth brooders, the chance of fry being eaten while gestation is higher for males. however after the fry are hatched it is fair game, both males and females that feed on larval fish, will feed on them equaly.

-----3. water quality is essential to raising healthy livestock. to put a bio demand as high as stocking a brood stock tank with high densities of larval food would require extensize amounts of water changes.

very few fish are compatible with all three of the reasons described above. (in fact the only one i can think of is the dwarf seahorse, and maybe hippocampus barbouri, though It would still be a stretch) for that reason, please dont try it!

this post and the post above mine sums it up, in short -- no

Iwishihadgills
03/16/2010, 11:22 PM
ive seen cardinals do it in big tanks but only a few survived. Its rare. Theres not enough food for them to eat

reeftanker10
03/16/2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks to everyone who satisfied my curiosity...And like i said i'm not planning on breeding anything, just a simple question (ctenophors rule) lol sorry to offend you

ctenophors rule
03/18/2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks to everyone who satisfied my curiosity...And like i said i'm not planning on breeding anything, just a simple question (ctenophors rule) lol sorry to offend you

no offense was taken:p I want more people to breed marine ornamental species, but they need to know exactly what they are getting into. lots of false information on the internet, the only source i have found that i would trust completely would be MOFIB; and i am sure the more experienced breeders would think me foolish for doing so.

we all started where you are now, and realy thats only a short distance away from breeding fish.

YOU CAN DO IT!:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

reeftanker10
03/18/2010, 05:09 PM
I want to eventually, but with the capibilities of my system now there would be no way that i could...the reason why i asked is because i want to get a pair of black and whites and let them mature in my tank now and if they did end up breeding i didn't want to be worried about trying to raise another fish if it, or they, did end up surviving...I know a lot of people just keep pairs and just let the eggs or fry get eaten but i was just wondering ,since i am really only planning on having the two fish and maybe a orange spotted goby, if there was a chance of survival....My next tank i am planning (just to let it be known) (and also in the house we move to) Is going to be a 150 gal. with a fish room with quar. tank and then a few holding tanks and then hopefully tie in a breeding tank and frag tank too...I'd like to be able to frag and maybe breed not for profit but just for enjoyment of taking the hobby to the next level...it wouldn't be for the next 5 years or so and was just a question of pure curiosity...But once again thanks for replying and now i know who to contact if i have any questions in the future on breeding (ctenophros rule) lol and hopefully all you others!

blennydude
03/18/2010, 11:37 PM
Here is my fry set up. The two small bottles submerged on the right side of the divider are my baby brine shrimp hatcheries. Today I am the proud dad of 9 new baby Banggais! First day out of the male's mouth. I will start a thread to follow up on their progress. This is my first trial so any advise is appreciated.:beer: