PDA

View Full Version : This is my first post...So got a few descriptions and a question to start with.

Joshnlaura
03/16/2010, 01:50 PM
Im Josh and my fince' is Laura, we just recently (like 3 days ago) started in our 75 gallon tank. So far we have bought a T5 light, 60 gallons of pre-mixed salt water, 80 lbs of sand, and about 30 lbs of live rock (we just found out we had a snail too that didnt want to leave his rock behind...hope he makes it) The tank I got 2nd hand with two Aqua Clear 500 filters. The tank has finally cleared up and the water looks GREAT! I have however noticed that one of our rocks has a cluster of green stuff growing on it. They almost look like termite eggs for the lack of a better description only they are green. Hopefully someone can assure me that these are the creatures from the black lagoon ready to hatch and take over my house. Ill try to get some pics put up to see if anyone can identify them for me.

I have no clue how to use these threads ... I have never used a forum before so if I do something crazy and post something wrong let me know.

Sugar Magnolia
03/16/2010, 01:57 PM
From the description, it sounds like valonia - bubble algae. You want to get rid of it. The best way to do this, since your tank still needs to cycle is to take the rocks out and gently pry them off with a tweezer, then rinse the rock in RO/DI.

[welcome]

Be sure to read the stickies at the top of this forum.

Joshnlaura
03/16/2010, 02:01 PM
I posted at lunch and when I came back to the page I thought it was gone...thought I didnt hit the right button for it to go through. See I knew I would screw this up a time or two before I would get it. LOL

Oh well...thx for the reply on the bubble algea. I will try to get that stuff cleared off when I get home this evening. I did add a few other aspects of my tank. If anyone has any suggestions while everything is cycling let me know. This has been a big investment and I would like to make the most of it.

Thx
Josh

Joshnlaura
03/16/2010, 02:15 PM
The first pic is of the whole tank ... the second pic actually has my rock with the bubble algea. Since Im asking, whats the red stuff on the rock? Do I need to clean it off too?

cubsFAN
03/16/2010, 02:20 PM
The red stuff on the rock looks like coralline to me. if it is slimy looking it is cyano, but i think it looks like the coralline algae, a good thing. It could also be a sponge. I just got some rock that has some red sponges on there. That rock looks real nice and porous. Get that valonia off and you should be good to go. If it looks like you do have cyano id brush it off when you brush off the bubble algae.

danielsbees
03/16/2010, 02:51 PM
Looks like coralline to me sounds like your getting great info follow that and you should be fine.

Joshnlaura
03/16/2010, 03:29 PM
We still have about 45 lbs more worth of rock to buy. What do you guys suggest to look for when picking out rock? Obviously the porosity is a good thing. Is there anything that is a big NO NO to see on a rock that should steer me away from getting it?

Honda_6
03/16/2010, 03:57 PM
Watch out for Aiptasia/Glass Anemones

cubsFAN
03/16/2010, 04:06 PM
you can smell the live rock. if it smells gnarly like death and decay it's probably not so great and surely not cured. Honda's right on with the aiptasia. that would be my biggest fear. i would also look out for planaria/red flat worms. mojano nems are bad. pest crabs like gorialla crabs and mantis shrimp are bad. any slimy algae is bad. you know to look out for valonia/bubble algae. i'm sure im leaving some stuff out. any bad rock can be "fixed", but live rock can be pretty pricey so sometimes it's not worth it. a little dry rock wouldn't be a bad idea. saves a little cash and always pest free.