PDA

View Full Version : Question on pairing maroons

cidermaster
03/16/2010, 02:03 PM
I purchased a small maroon about two months ago then I purchased a larger maroon about 3 weeks to a month ago.When I first put the larger one in the tank it chased the smaller one around for a bit then left it alone until now!! The larger one just recently started to host in a bubble coral minding its own buisness then all of a sudden the smaller one started to beat the living crap outa the larger one!!!(the larger one is almost twice the size) The smaller one has never showed any interest in the bubble until it beat the crap outta the other one and it hosted the bubble all morning and now has left that alone.At first I assumed the bigger one was female cuz she beat up the smaller one and it became submissive but now its the other way around.Also the smaller one who is beating on the larger on is also doing the kissing thing on the cheek of the larger one. That means its a male doesnt it? Im so confused what is what ?

garygb
03/16/2010, 04:49 PM
In time the larger one will likely reclaim it's place as the dominant and will take the smaller male as a mate. However, the small one was alone for 2 months and could have become a female, in which case you may have two females (once female the fish cannot convert back to being a male). The "kissing thing" doesn't mean anything as far as the gender of a clownfish, that is simply an aggressive/dominant posturing.

cidermaster
03/16/2010, 05:13 PM
thanks garygb should I split them up or just leave them alone? the bigger one has disappeared into a cave.But before it disappeared they tore each other up!

eclown
03/16/2010, 09:15 PM
The kissing thing might also be a sign that the smaller one is being submissive. Is the smaller one "kissing" the spines on the larger one's cheek?

I haven't seen two females do this, but it might also be instictivly submissive.

In the future, always get a smaller clown than the one you have, especially if you have had that one a while.....it's most likely female.

When you get a smaller one, try to pick from a groug of smaller ones....and do not pick the larger ones from the group.

If the little guy keeps "kissing" or twitching, it just might still be male. Keep your fingers crossed because if that doesn't happen, it's war.

The amouunt of time between them is cutting things real close....too close for me.

cidermaster
03/16/2010, 09:28 PM
The smaller one was "kissing" at first what I thought then it turned into biting I think.Think I'm gonna just get rid of one.

eclown
03/17/2010, 10:11 AM
If you get rid of one, make sure to get one that is smaller than the one you keep.
Also make sure that the one you get is not a lone fish....it might be female.
Try to locate a source where you can pick one of a group and make sure not to get the bigger one/s in the group....get the smaller....it will most likely be male.

They may still fight...and it can be difficult to watch. Sometimes a female can be real picky and try to kill a male that to you and I looks perfect. I once paired three sets of maroon clowns and it took some tactical approaches. I had to "intorduce" one male to a VERY aggressive female by keeping them in close quarters, but the male was in a clear plastic jar with holes large enough to almost fit through. I had to put him back in that jar and reintrodce twice(she tried to kill him like she did two others) before she gave in and accepted him.
Inn the end, I ended up with three pairs! In seprate environments of course.

cidermaster
03/17/2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks again for the info. I did end up seperating them last night. what size is good to get before they sex?

eclown
03/17/2010, 02:29 PM
from what I have seen, a female will show up pretty quick within a group of 1 inchers. It may just be the dominate fish and later turns female though.

I'd just choose from a GROUP of small ones...one of the medium to smaller ones in a group. There is usually the largest of the group, the female, followed by the dominate male, then even smaller are the rest of the group waiting to move up, and then grow(literally), in the ranks.

At first thought, the fish you get may look too small relative to your female.
But, onece in your aquarium, that fish becomes the dominate male if she accepts him. Once that pairing happens, that tiny male will grow rapidly!

StillerNat
03/17/2010, 03:00 PM
can you remove the larger one and put it into a sump or a tank for a few weeks?

i have an older gsm and i wanted it to mate with a smaller juvi i got. it was war from day 1. so i removed the juvi and added it to the sump. i then removed the older gsm and put him in the sump with the juvi and they hit it off from minute 1. you have to have them both in unfamiliar territory and they will huddle together for support in a foreign place,