PDA

View Full Version : Tank raised and Anemone

Koehn
03/16/2010, 02:06 PM
Hey guys I have just letting it go for about a year now but I have a tank raised clown that wont even look at my bubble tip. The anemone is HUGE and the close fish just wont even go near it. Think maybe introducing a wild caught clown they both will pair and host? I need idea on how to get my clown to host it. He is first fish so he has value to me I am tempted though to trade him in for one to host the anemone.

Koehn

Toddrtrex
03/16/2010, 02:22 PM
There is no proof that tank raised won't be hosted by anemones.

What type of clown do you have?

Koehn
03/16/2010, 02:54 PM
I think its a false perc.

garygb
03/16/2010, 04:38 PM
Not only is there no proof, there isn't any evidence that I've heard of that a wild caught will be hosted one bit faster or easier than tank-bred. The instinct to be hosted by an anemone is innate, not learned. If you had a fish that was a natural symbiont of your BTA, such as tomato, cinnamon, maroon, clarkii, you would likely have an immediate symbiotic relationship--literally minutes to hours. I have a true perc that will have nothing to do with BTAs. After all, they aren't natural symbionts. Sometimes it happens, but sometimes it never does with surrogates.

jonnybravo22
03/16/2010, 06:00 PM
Not only is there no proof, there isn't any evidence that I've heard of that a wild caught will be hosted one bit faster or easier than tank-bred. The instinct to be hosted by an anemone is innate, not learned. If you had a fish that was a natural symbiont of your BTA, such as tomato, cinnamon, maroon, clarkii, you would likely have an immediate symbiotic relationship--literally minutes to hours. I have a true perc that will have nothing to do with BTAs. After all, they aren't natural symbionts. Sometimes it happens, but sometimes it never does with surrogates.

dont know that gary is making this suggestion but for my two cents i wouldn't say it is guaranteed even with natural hosts. my true perculas prefer the return pipe to an S. gigantea i introduced little more than a month ago. i'm still hoping they will host in it but so far they are uninterested.

arioch
03/16/2010, 06:08 PM
I have a pair of TR ocellaris that jumped in a couple heads of a hammer coral and I have a pair of TR "onyx" percs that jumped right in a rbta (within 5 minutes of the rbta attaching to the rockwork). I know for a fact that neither have ever ever ever been around anything like those things as they were raised.

TR vs WC and hosting is a myth.

eclown
03/16/2010, 08:30 PM
I too have never seen any tank raised avoid an anemone for too long.
Maybe the younger ones will....but even they eventually become overwhelmed by natures call and can't resist.

blownz281
03/16/2010, 08:58 PM
I had tank raised percula clowns and they went right to my GBTA. have two Maroon clowns that are tank raised and they are the same size 1.5" and took to my BTA.

Koehn
03/17/2010, 09:04 AM
Yeah well I have to wait I take it then? I just want someone to host the damn thing and make it useful.