PDA

View Full Version : QT equipment

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 02:26 PM
I would like to setup a QT while in the process of getting a DT setup. I know that there should be a nitrification medium in the QT similar to that of the DT.

Can I use live rock in the QT or would a hang on filter be better?

Should I have sand in the QT?

How do you keep the QT bateria alive when you have no fish in the tank? Or do i put the "media" back into the DT?

Do you have to add any chemicals/dose to the QT when the fish is in there?

Or is hypersalinity and cooper enought, or do I need to do such treatment is there appears to be nothing wrong?

If chemicals are added the "media" should not be put or connected to the DT? Should I restart a QT from scratch is chemicals are used?

Should I get a mini skimmer for the QT?

Jstdv8
03/16/2010, 03:26 PM
I would like to setup a QT while in the process of getting a DT setup. I know that there should be a nitrification medium in the QT similar to that of the DT.

Can I use live rock in the QT or would a hang on filter be better? Live rock is not reccomended since it will be ruined if you need to use a copper treatment

Should I have sand in the QT? no sand for the same reason as stated above. You will want to paint the bottom of the tank though.

How do you keep the QT bateria alive when you have no fish in the tank? Or do i put the "media" back into the DT? If you use a treatment chemical then all of the media goes in the garbage once the fish is cured. to keep the bacteria alive just put your HOB on the DT or the sump a few days prior to needing it to let it build up a good amount of bacteria.
Add the heater, get the water up to temp and then just switch the HOB right over to the QT for no cycle. I also keep a sponge filter (came off my overflow) in the sump at all times and I add that to the Qt as well.

Do you have to add any chemicals/dose to the QT when the fish is in there? Not unless you see any signs of disease within the 4 weeks QT period. If you do, then dose your treatment and start the 4 weeks over again.

Or is hypersalinity and cooper enought, or do I need to do such treatment is there appears to be nothing wrong? No treatment unless you see problems

If chemicals are added the "media" should not be put or connected to the DT? Should I restart a QT from scratch is chemicals are used? the QT should be started from scratch each time you use it. likley you will lose alot of water and won't want to keep the heater and HOB running while there is no fish in it so you will need to mix up new water and apply the HOB as stated above.

Should I get a mini skimmer for the QT? no need for a skimmer, just do 10% waterchange every week

wooden_reefer
03/16/2010, 03:43 PM
I won't use LR pieces in QT. Too bulky. Also possibly already has growths on it that may cause a die-off.

The medium for use in QT can be calcareous or non.

The former are crushed coral or LR rubble; the latter can be sponges and polyester floss. If you plan to maintain stable copper level, the latter is better. I don't so I tend to use the former. A choice.

You want to be able to take the medium out of a power filter if you ever want to use a drug that affects nitrification.

You should cycle the medium intended for QT very well in advance. You may well not need to do any more WC in QT than in DT.

SuperNemo
03/16/2010, 08:06 PM
How many fish can a 10 gallon QT do at the same time? I like schooling fishes and would not want to add one fish at a time after 4 weeks each.

I see people put large PVC pieces in the QT. Should I get some of those?

Jacob Sellers
03/16/2010, 08:37 PM
How many fish can a 10 gallon QT do at the same time? I like schooling fishes and would not want to add one fish at a time after 4 weeks each.

The PVC pieces provide shelter and because (as wooden reefer points out) they are non calcareous they will not absorb copper, etc.

Chris27
03/17/2010, 08:18 AM

Depends on the size of the fish. Two small chromis or firefish would be ok, but one puffer would not be. If you can use a 20L, you would be better equipped and could keep just about anything in QT provided the filter is well established.