PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female?

Tonynlo
03/16/2010, 05:14 PM
I purchased a pair of Onyx Percula's about a year ago. One of the fish miraculously disappeared after about a month. The fish were about 6 months old when I purchased them. Can anybody give me an idea what the sex of the left over fish? If I were to purchase another Onyx percula, should I get an immature fish?

clowns101
03/16/2010, 06:38 PM
Well how big are the fish?I would think that he/she is female by now.

eclown
03/16/2010, 08:22 PM
If you want to try to pair up the fish you have with a new one, get one that's smaller than the one you have. Try to find a bunch of them and get one of the smaller ones...it should be male.
I agree that your fish may be female if left alone for a while.

Tahoe Reefer
03/16/2010, 08:29 PM
according to your time line the remaing fish is 1.5yrs old and has been alone for 1 month +, if thats all correct I'd say you've got yourself a female clown or at LEAST one that has started turning. I once had the female clown from a 3yr old pair die, the plan was to purchase a mature female to re-pair the male but by the time I had located an adult female (3 weeks) my male clown had started a growth spurt and was well on it's way down a 1 way road to woman hood. I purchased instead a juv. instead and they were laying eggs within three months, orange face and all still on the juv. which turned into the male.

M88A2
03/16/2010, 09:02 PM
your best bet is to just get a smaller one that is immature or one that you know is male. that way even if you end up with 2 males, one will take dominance and become the female.