PDA

View Full Version : Garlic?

canes52
03/16/2010, 07:09 PM
Does garlic strengthen the fishes immune system and help defeat iche? Also will a UV sterilizer kill ich forever?

steelersfan
03/16/2010, 07:18 PM
It is said that garlic helps the immune system. I am not sure if that is 100% true. IMO, it does help with finicky fish to take food. As far as defeating Ich, the answer is no. Also, UV will not kill Ich forever. If your display tank has a problem with Ich, you would need to leave it fallow (without fish) for a minimum of 8-10 weeks. If you have fish with Ich, I would recommend that you treat them, in a hospital tank, with either a copper treatment or hyposalinity.

Jacob Sellers
03/16/2010, 07:59 PM
Does garlic strengthen the fishes immune system and help defeat iche? Also will a UV sterilizer kill ich forever?

Agree. A 6 to 8 week fallow is the only guaranteed cure. UV will only kill parasites that pass through the unit. Unfortunately, the majority of the life stages of the Ich parasite are spent in the substrate or the host fish.

jeepguy242
03/16/2010, 08:05 PM
i have actually never used garlic, could you explain how? go you hust crush fresh garlic in a press and mix it with the food cube you are defrosting in a cup of tank water?

Chris27
03/17/2010, 08:31 AM
Kent, Brightwell and Seachem all sell a garlic supplement, most times it's in a liquid or paste form. Mix it into the food a few min before feeding so that the garlic penetrates, fish love garlic too!

skibum9884
03/17/2010, 09:30 AM
Fauna Marin also sells a garlic oil. I just purchased this the other day and it seems to really get the attention of the fish. I find it to be better than Selcon.

On the downside, it's VERY smelly! I've been keeping it in a plastic bag as it even smells through the bottle.

Chris27
03/17/2010, 09:56 AM
Fauna Marin also sells a garlic oil. I just purchased this the other day and it seems to really get the attention of the fish. I find it to be better than Selcon.

On the downside, it's VERY smelly! I've been keeping it in a plastic bag as it even smells through the bottle.

It should be used with selcon, they serve different purposes.