PDA

View Full Version : RBTA too close to the waters edge

jaythebull
03/16/2010, 07:51 PM
I have a RBTA - that used to hang out on the rock work when I got him (about two months ago). He moved a little - and finally settled in the worst place he could find. He is all the way at the top of the aquarium on the back wall - near the return pump nozzle. He's happy as can be there - eating - growing. I would let him stay there - but - I can not do a water change. The water would come way down below him? Any ideas? Should I wait a few more weeks and see if he moves. I tried to see if I could budge his foot today - but he wasn't moving. I am sure I could use a credit card and try to force him off - but I hate to do that.

Sorry for the sucky pic - it was hard to get a good at him from that angle and he had just ate as well.

Moonstream
03/16/2010, 09:20 PM
Ive seen pics of BTA's completly exposed during low tide, the thread is somewhere around here. they can take more abuse than people give think. if you do a waterchange, there's a good chance he'll detach and find a new home, or he might just tough it out. JMO, though, but then, I also dont know a whole lot about anemones...

bues0022
03/16/2010, 09:35 PM
During water changes, my RBTA's routinely would be out of the water. They didn't detach, and did just fine. As long as you don't make a habit of leaving them open to air for a long time, you're going to be just fine doing a water change. Using a credit card under the foot is not hard on them, as long as you're careful and don't hurt the foot. Also, maybe it's just a bad picture, but it looks pretty bleached if it is an RBTA. It's likely high up because it wants more light. What lights are on your tank?

reef321
03/16/2010, 09:35 PM
It would be fine out of the water for a while. If the anemone really doesn't like it, it will move itself.

jaythebull
03/17/2010, 06:55 AM
It's under a set of power compacts. Not really too bleached - I think it was more of the flash and I was right on top of it. I'll have to look up some pics of non-bleached ones and compare. He was really small when I got him and has been growing very steadily.

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 08:51 AM
. Also, maybe it's just a bad picture, but it looks pretty bleached if it is an RBTA. It's likely high up because it wants more light. What lights are on your tank?

I agree completely, it has hardly any color at all. I would say it went up there to get more light. How many watts and over what size tank?

This is the color a healthy RBTA should be:

http://www.soutassaltwater.com/files/d_130.jpg

jaythebull
03/17/2010, 08:54 AM
Yikes so mine is way off - maybe I don't have a rose tip? Or is it really that bleached. I'll have to check the wattage. It's a 30 gallon cube. It was the same color at the reef store over halides - if that helps. Thanks for all of your help.

jaythebull
03/17/2010, 08:56 AM
Mine looks more like this one:
http://www.imaginesealife.com/images/Anemone/Bubble%20Anemone.jpg
So maybe I don't have a rose at all.

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 08:58 AM
Mine looks more like this one:
http://www.imaginesealife.com/images/Anemone/Bubble%20Anemone.jpg
So maybe I don't have a rose at all.

That one looks bleached as well.

What is the wattage of your PC's over the cube? Your nem is starving for light.

Here's mine under 250W MH in my 30g cube.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/stanton4/Cameradump005.jpg

jaythebull
03/17/2010, 09:03 AM
I'll look up the wattage when I get home it's a 50/50 bulb - 10,000 and one antic blue. I am just not sure of the wattage.

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 09:08 AM
I'll look up the wattage when I get home it's a 50/50 bulb - 10,000 and one antic blue. I am just not sure of the wattage.

Well, at any rate, the bulb is insufficient as far as providing the optimum lighting needed to keep an anemone, let alone, have it thriving. :( You need to either upgrade your lighting or remove the anemone and give it to someone who has the suffiecient lighting for it.

jaythebull
03/17/2010, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your help Sugar Magnolia - going to look in to upgrading the lights.

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 12:35 PM
You're very welcome. ;)

Sfork
03/17/2010, 06:12 PM
I dunno if someone said it, but in the wild some anemones are out of the water during low tide, as long as they dont dry out they're fine

FragFarm
03/18/2010, 02:36 PM
I have heard of people shipping them dry!

I agree with lighting its no where near enough.. Sugar any idea what par yours is getting?

Sfork
03/18/2010, 03:39 PM
Shipping them dry is supposed to keep them from pooping and filling their bag with ammonia