PDA

View Full Version : Fiji Pink Sand storm

Jake007
03/16/2010, 09:13 PM
I just setup my 120gal about a week ago. I added about 55 lbs of new dry fiji pink sand and then put all existing fiji pink sand from my running 75gal on top. I hand washed the new dry sand prior to putting in. I am running a filter sock which I have been washing every day.

Q. I still have sand particles in the water column. Maybe I didn't wash it as good as I thought? I must have foregotten but how long does it take for the sand to settle down and not float around?

drummereef
03/16/2010, 09:22 PM
Are you sure it's not a bacteria bloom or something? That seems like a long time to have a sandstorm, even on initial setup. Do you run any filter socks?

Saltcity
03/16/2010, 09:26 PM
I usually use some type of large particle live sand.. 2 weeks ago I decided to buy some really fine sugar sand for my new 120g and after 4 days I took it out!! I tried to drain and clean the sump twice because it was pouring so much sand down in the sump from the overflows but it just kept coming. It would settle half way overnight if I turned the sump pump off but as soon as I turned it on it would kick up a huge cloud of sand.

Only thing you can do is give it time and let your tank build bacteria....it will settle but it might take a week or two.

Fine grain sands are tough, especially if you have a lot of flow!

nebraskareef
03/16/2010, 09:27 PM
My concern is that you added the sand from the existing tank atop the new stuff. Unless you rinsed that sand out very well, it's likely detritus from the existing sandbed. Keep an eye on your levels, as you risk wiping the tank out if that is the case.

In any event, once the sandstorm/bloom/what have you subsides, it can take several weeks to really build up the biofilm that will keep the sand down.

Good luck!

Saltcity
03/16/2010, 09:32 PM
Fiji pink sand is pretty fine, I would guess its just a sand storm and not a bloom.
Adding sand from an existing tank would be to seed the sand bed so you wouldn't want to wash it if your using it for that reason.

nebraskareef
03/16/2010, 09:35 PM
Adding sand from an existing tank would be to seed the sand bed so you wouldn't want to wash it if your using it for that reason.

It takes very little sand to seed a new bed. When seeding from an existing tank, taking several samples from the top 1/4" of the bed is advisable. Simply scooping out all of the sand in buckets and then dumping back in the tank is just asking for a disaster. :eek:

Saltcity
03/16/2010, 09:39 PM
It takes very little sand to seed a new bed. When seeding from an existing tank, taking several samples from the top 1/4" of the bed is advisable. Simply scooping out all of the sand in buckets and then dumping back in the tank is just asking for a disaster. :eek:

Trueeeeeee..... :spin2: I missed the "All existing Fiji Pink from my 75g" Part!! Yeah, that might have a little fish poop in it!!:beer:

nebraskareef
03/16/2010, 09:41 PM
Trueeeeeee..... :spin2: I missed the "All existing Fiji Pink from my 75g" Part!! Yeah, that might have a little fish poop in it!!:beer:

I've done it before, in a mad, sleep deprived rush and it was not good! lol

:beer:

Jake007
03/17/2010, 05:15 AM
I had a shallow sand bed before and most folks I talked with indicated that would be fine. When I moved my old sand I tried not to disturb it much. Fuji pink is real white and medium grain size .5-1.5.

All of my parameters are rock solid, amn/nitri/nitrate =0. This tank does have a higher flow rate than the 75g. It could be detritus from the existing bed that was stirred or a slight bloom. I am starting to finally see some green algae on the from glass and the last couple days detritus accumulating on the sand bed top. My conchs are working hard cleaning up the sand though.