PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to set up a QT tank

gmr7494
03/16/2010, 09:29 PM
Hello. I made a mistake by not QTing my first pair of clownfish before putting them in my main tank. One of them is showing signs of ich. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to start at QT quickly. Please help. Thanks.

irieef
03/16/2010, 09:34 PM
the next time u do a wc, put the "old" water in your qt tank..throw in a filter or powerhead, and your good to go..just keep it simple..

gmr7494
03/16/2010, 09:42 PM
the next time u do a wc, put the "old" water in your qt tank..throw in a filter or powerhead, and your good to go..just keep it simple..

OK. So will a 10-gallon setup be sufficient? I ask because Aqueon makes a 10-gallon kit with a heater, power filter, and lights for $40.

Saltcity
03/16/2010, 09:49 PM
I've got a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon. The 5 is a good size for a few fish.

I keep them both running and I used a piece of live rock out of the Big tank for each one and about half of the water is from the big tank.
The 5 gallon actually has about 12lbs of live rock now with three Damsels, a banded shrimp and about 15 snails....My little Nano:fun4:

irieef
03/16/2010, 09:50 PM
that'll do just fine, but a cheapy little 5 gal plastic tank with a tiny little hydor heater will do also..just remember to swap the water out everytime u do a wc..

jenglish
03/16/2010, 10:49 PM
I have used a rubbermaid tub and an airdriven foam filter. A tub makes for good gallon/dollar investment but makes it hard to observe a fish.

Oh, and there is no reason to rush. Ich is very rarely fatal on it's own and it's not going anywhere ;) It is better to take your time and get the QT set up and established rather than rush it and kill them in the process.

Jstdv8
03/16/2010, 11:06 PM
using old tank water is fine but you cannot expect to not have a cycle in there just because you used the water. The water doesnt hold enough denitrifying bacteria in it to do anything at all. Almost all bacteria is kept in your mechanical filtration LR and LS.
The tests may look fine at first but as soon as you add fish and they start dirtying the water there wont be anything to eat the ammonia and you will get a cycle and possibly kill the fish.

The best way to do this is to have a small HOB filter set in your DT or your sump for a couple of days prior to using it on the QT. this gives it time to establish a nice bunch of bacteria. heat your QT water (either tank water or aged saltwater ) and then pull the HOB out and hang it on the back of the QT. I also keep a filtration sponge in my sump at all times to throw in there too just to help out.
paint the bottom of the QT tank, don't use sand or LR. a skimmer is not neccesary, just keep up on 10% water changes for your 4-6 week period of QT.
If you treat with chemicals or copper get rid of the filter media after use and dispose of the water. Its also a good idea to put in some sort of fake plants or something that the fish can hide in so they don't get any more stressed than they allready are.

ArmanS
03/16/2010, 11:11 PM
using old tank water is fine but you cannot expect to not have a cycle in there just because you used the water. The water doesnt hold enough denitrifying bacteria in it to do anything at all. Almost all bacteria is kept in your mechanical filtration LR and LS.
The tests may look fine at first but as soon as you add fish and they start dirtying the water there wont be anything to eat the ammonia and you will get a cycle and possibly kill the fish.

The best way to do this is to have a small HOB filter set in your DT or your sump for a couple of days prior to using it on the QT. this gives it time to establish a nice bunch of bacteria. heat your QT water (either tank water or aged saltwater ) and then pull the HOB out and hang it on the back of the QT. I also keep a filtration sponge in my sump at all times to throw in there too just to help out.
paint the bottom of the QT tank, don't use sand or LR. a skimmer is not neccesary, just keep up on 10% water changes for your 4-6 week period of QT.
If you treat with chemicals or copper get rid of the filter media after use and dispose of the water. Its also a good idea to put in some sort of fake plants or something that the fish can hide in so they don't get any more stressed than they allready are.

This is what I would recommend. PVC is good for your QT as well for your fish to hide.

reice05
03/16/2010, 11:14 PM

I'm confused do u got a pic of the filtration sponge your talking about and is there a certain location u put it in your sump or just anywhere out of the way

Jstdv8
03/16/2010, 11:39 PM
its a fitration sponge that goes in the center section of my overflow, I just let it float around and spin. Its usually in the return section of my sump.
It doesnt matter what you use as long as its designed for aquariums and has the ability to hold bacteria. A filter pad for a HOB would be fine too. I say this because ive heard of people trying to use a dish sponge, not a good idea since they may hold soap from the factory.
I'll see if i can find a pic of one like I use. nothing special really.

Jstdv8
03/16/2010, 11:41 PM
http://amekaaquatics.com/productinfo.html?product_id=514

irieef
03/16/2010, 11:56 PM
+1 on the filter sponge, but since u want this done the fastest way possible, when i worked at a lfs, i would offer people starting new tanks foam sponges from hob filters already in use..all they'd have to do was buy a replacement sponge and i'd bag up and give them the old, bacteria-filled one..check with your lfs, they should be more than happy to do this for u, its a win-win..

cloak
03/17/2010, 12:13 AM
I hate it when the DT is worse than the QT.

wsz594
03/17/2010, 01:15 AM
using old tank water is fine but you cannot expect to not have a cycle in there just because you used the water. The water doesnt hold enough denitrifying bacteria in it to do anything at all. Almost all bacteria is kept in your mechanical filtration lr and ls.

The best way to do this is to have a small hob filter set in your dt or your sump for a couple of days prior to using it on the qt. This gives it time to establish a nice bunch of bacteria. Heat your qt water (either tank water or aged saltwater ) and then pull the hob out and hang it on the back of the qt. I also keep a filtration sponge in my sump at all times to throw in there too just to help out.
Paint the bottom of the qt tank, don't use sand or lr. A skimmer is not neccesary, just keep up on 10% water changes for your 4-6 week period of qt.
If you treat with chemicals or copper get rid of the filter media after use and dispose of the water. Its also a good idea to put in some sort of fake plants or something that the fish can hide in so they don't get any more stressed than they allready are. +1

wsz594
03/17/2010, 01:16 AM
also u can scoop some slime off your filter or glass and throw it in the tank. It will help.

Frick-n-Frags
03/17/2010, 01:17 AM
the fastest way would be to take a couple pieces of LR fromthe main system and put the LR in the QT with the fish and tank water

cpittmx
03/17/2010, 07:57 AM
For people that are using sponges or other media that they return to sump/dt when they are done with QT tank. What do you do if you have used copper or other meds in QT tank? Do you have to replace sponge everytime it has been used?

gmr7494
03/17/2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. However, I am a bit confused. Should I use LR or no? Also, the 10% water change....is that weekly? Or should I be doing daily water changes?

Frick-n-Frags
03/17/2010, 11:39 AM
irireef, that is an excellent concept.....

no i dont think you want QT sponges back in the main system after treatments

maybe the clever QT'er always has a spare cooking in the sump

WAIT!!!!1!!!!!!111! who says there is no use for a little container of bioballs :D :D

keto
03/17/2010, 12:44 PM
irireef, that is an excellent concept.....

no i dont think you want QT sponges back in the main system after treatments

maybe the clever QT'er always has a spare cooking in the sump

WAIT!!!!1!!!!!!111! who says there is no use for a little container of bioballs :D :D

Good idea for those !!