PDA

View Full Version : Biggest mistake with yasha goby and shrimp?

kcreefer86
03/16/2010, 10:52 PM
yep, I'v hated the shrimp since the night I got it..I thought I did enough research, but seems like i missed the part about digging 24-7 and clouding the tank...I think my shrimp buried my goby in a cave..I haven't seen it in about 5 days...it was out always eating the first month and so....maybe dead? But anyways, I now have a cloudy tank all the time...any idea on how to catch this shrimp?

cjtice
03/17/2010, 06:53 AM
Use a bottle trap near its burrow with a piece of shrimp in it. I have caught a couple pistols like this.

What worked best for me, was I took an old water bottle, cut the top off and inverted it. I then cut a little door near the bottom of the bottle that I could open to put the food in. What I noticed is that sometimes the food would not stay at the bottom, so I glued the shrimp to the bottom of the bottle.

What kind of pistol is it? it is possible that the goby is just following the pistol around under the rock work. When I put my pistol in with my YWG that was always out, I would rarely see it after I introduced the pistol.

Chris

Sugar Magnolia
03/17/2010, 09:29 AM
You must have some super fine sand. My tiger pistol is constantly digging and my tank is never cloudy.

Korrine
03/17/2010, 12:52 PM
I have a pistol and have NEVER had a problem with it clouding the tank. You must have super fine sand or didn't rinse it before adding it to the tank.

It is possible that they moved burrows. My yasha and pistol moved burrows a few times. If they are facing the back of the tank now, it would be hard to see them.

skiwez
03/17/2010, 01:50 PM
I just went through the same thing with my diamond goby. It will settle out eventually. Either get filter out or hidden in rock crevices and such. All it takes is a little patience and it will be fine. Took about 2-3 weeks and while it's still not perfect the water is almsot there. I figure about another week and my water will be crystal clear again

snorvich
03/17/2010, 01:54 PM
You must have some super fine sand. My tiger pistol is constantly digging and my tank is never cloudy.

Likewise. Maybe you have too much flow or flow directed in bad places.

romsoccer12
03/17/2010, 03:11 PM
my goby would come out a lot than when i added my pistol he was gone and rarely came out, and i was ****ed. but now hes out 100 times more and comes out much farther because of the pistol. i think it just takes some getting used to

Madfronter
03/18/2010, 11:42 AM
My goby and pistol shrimp sometimes hide for a couple months at a time. I don't really worry too much about them because I hear the shrimp clicking every now and then and know they will eventually come back out. Never had any clouding issues either.