PDA

View Full Version : How to rid myself of this algea

tprize
03/17/2010, 12:01 AM
I have this green algae growing, and it looks more like cheato consistency, but grows like hair algae. I need it gone so what eats it? Thanks guys

Frick-n-Frags
03/17/2010, 12:12 AM
your post gives us nothing to work with

all i can say generally is: nutrients in > nutrients out = algae

if it is some small macro off of new LR and not a pest microalgae, chances are it will boom-n-bust like flushes of Neomeris or those small reds like Laurencia.

if it is a turf, a pic for an ID would help because there are several fish and urchins that eat the various turfs.

tprize
03/17/2010, 09:52 AM
I will attempt to get a pic up. My nutrient level is low, I do many water changes and all my prams are in check. I'm not sure what this algae is because it's very tough even 48 hours of lights out that takes care of hair algae isn't touching this stuff. Like I said it looks like chetto but it grows on rock like hair.

Frick-n-Frags
03/17/2010, 11:47 AM
that does sound like a small macro. is this new rock or is this appearing on rock you have had for many months?

things appearing on old rock that prior had little problems..is probably a problem heh

things appearing on brand new rock are generally not permanent, wrt macro algae

there are like 50 species of chaeto, some of which attach to the substrate.
little things like Cladophora or Derbesia for sure, could fit that description..
or turf...

edit: i also noticed that what i had been calling tiny Acetabularias in my tank are actually Polyphysa polyphysoides.
bad on me......