PDA

View Full Version : Coralife 220 Recirc Mod

shumoco
03/17/2010, 08:48 AM
I've had an idea for my Coralife 220 for a while now, but haven't implemented it yet. My idea is to put something like veri-seals on the side of the body and hook up an additional needlewheel pump to suck in the mostly bubbly water, and spit it back into the body with even more air and turbulence. I would have to play with the output/input to maintain the circular movement of the water, but I think it would work.

Has anyone seen this done, or have any thoughts on it? I think it would take my mediocre 220 to a level where its almost at the really good level. I even went so far as to buy a OTP-3000 or 4000 needlewheel pump. I think its rated at about 700 gph or so. The OTP has been sitting in my garage for a couple of years now. I think its about time to make a move on this skimmer mod.

Feedback from you guys and gals would be great.
Thanks

HighlandReef
03/17/2010, 10:23 AM
I tried messing with mine and ended up cracking the body. I got the black PVC from lowes and fixed it but the acrylic they use is thin so be careful
the problem I ended up having is the body of the skimmer was too small for the air draw and will prob be your issue in the end. I just upgraded and have never looks back

shumoco
03/17/2010, 02:13 PM
That makes sense. I was worried about the thin plastic as well. I appreciate the feedback. That lends support to my fear of breaking something that isn't broken in the first place. Been there, done that way too many times.