PDA

View Full Version : Mixing jawfish??

maroon2
03/17/2010, 10:18 AM
Well I've had a pearly jawfish for a mo. now and its doing great. Lives in a man made pvc cave, and eats like a champ. I added a blue spot last night and he took to the pvc cave I made him on the other side of the tank (75 gal upgrading to 90 in a week). This a.m. the bs was in the pearly's cave and the pearly just moved under some rocks about 5" away. No aggression whatsoever so far and they can totally see each other.
Q: Will they be all right together? Has anyone mixed jawfish species before?
Btw bs is eating already:fun4:
Pics later.......

melanotaenia
03/17/2010, 10:37 AM
they will eventually fight with one another. I have not heard very good things from people combining jawfish in a single tank, unless the tank is very large and there are distinct caves established for each jawfish. But even in these instances aggression can occur.

Recty
03/17/2010, 11:22 AM
I think with a 75g you'll be OK. I would expect to see a little squabbling but nothing too serious, the "wimpiest" one will just end up having to move a lot and the tougher one will get the choice homes.

maroon2
03/17/2010, 03:50 PM
Well I'll be building lots more pvc caves in my 90. Funny thing though, my little green mandarin (male) found the new bs and won't get out of his face. He just hovers right in front of his cave entrance and the jawfish just opens up his mouth at him.

maroon2
03/17/2010, 06:26 PM
Pics as promised
Here you can see how close the two jawfish are together and also the mandarin in the bsj face
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n131/jorgemere_2006/DSC_0022-3.jpg

philter4
03/17/2010, 08:22 PM
I've mixed jawfish several times with no serious problems, just make sure they have enough room to get away from each other and they will end up building burrows on opposite sides of the tank.

Hamp
03/19/2010, 11:26 PM
Thats funny, my green mandarin loves my BS too. I wonder if it is because he kicks up pods digging. They are best buds though, my jawfish doesnt seem to mind at all.

godlyme
03/20/2010, 06:46 PM
which jaw fish do you like better?

godlyme
03/20/2010, 06:47 PM
and can u take more pics?? i agree with why the mandarin is prolly hanging around.....he might be getting some easy food. ps do jaw fish and blennys get along ok? and would a jaw fish live with a pistol shrimp?

maroon2
03/21/2010, 09:01 PM
Well this all just went to hell. My bs killed my pearly and then my bs died the next morning w/ what looked like that bs jawfish disease. Slime coat looked like it was just flaking off. Kind of like marine velvet. SUCKS