PDA

View Full Version : Propogation for $$$$

3djedi
03/17/2010, 12:09 PM
I am interested in trying to make a little money with frags. I'm not planning on quiting my day job or anything just making a little to help offset the cost of reefing. I'm not sure how to get this going though. I plan on setting up a couple small tanks plumbed into my main system to get started. One question is what kind of stock would be most profitable? Like high end zoas that fetch a pretty penny or go with cheaper stuff? Anyway if anyone could share sucessfull similiar ventures or share any tips or advice I would love to hear it. Btw, I did try to do a search but didn't really find anything. So if this topic has been covered to death I apologize and if you could provide a link I would appreciate it.

N-dog
03/17/2010, 12:35 PM
i like to buy, and sell trade cheaper to mid range prices (not much over $75)

workman
03/17/2010, 12:41 PM
I think there is a buy/sell forum for coral somewhere on RC

sra127
03/17/2010, 12:42 PM
get fast growers and sell them for cheap. monti's are quick, gsp, xenia. you can only fetch 10-20 per piece but if you sell enough you get some quick money (problem with this is most ppl have them or are doing the same). also i found that some chalice's grow quick. i have a hollywood stunner and a tyree fire enchintata that are growing very quick. this is not my personal experience, i didnt get into the hobby to make money. i agree with trying to offset the costs, but i get much more joy about things striving and growing in my tank. good luck with whatever you may do.

sowellj
03/17/2010, 12:46 PM
The book of coral propagation goes into this some, though on a bit of a larger scale. Like you said, I don't think you will be quitting your day job, but you could subsidize your set up.

cubsFAN
03/17/2010, 01:24 PM
seems like there is a market in Lawrence KS. That's where I got started. There was a couple decent stores when I was there. Monti caps and digitatas grow real fast for me. so does my green stylophora from ora. I'd concentrate on high colored medium/high demand corals. If you don't have much room in your frag tanks, you don't need a bunch of kenya tree corals and gsp taking up room. I got an aog frag last year that has turned up quite a few frags and theyre in high demand. I would stay mid range on prices. In a college town you are not likely to find anyone who wants to spend 50 bucks on 1 polyp of blue hornets. Of course KC is right around the corner. Your location in the middle of the US will probably help with shipping costs, but that takes you into a whole new realm. Do you plan to ship corals?

3djedi
03/17/2010, 01:33 PM
There are a couple stores in Lawrence but they don't have much of anything coral wise. I have to drive 30-40min to a store that has a decent selection. I have yet to see anything nice that is sps. I wouldn't mind shipping if it is worthwhile. I think mid and lower range zoas might be a good start. I already have lots of gsp I can frag as well as pulsining xenia. Also have a kyrptonite trumpet that is growing fast.

I wonder if obtaining a tax ID would be a good idea. Then you could buy wholesale and writeoff electricity, water, and driving to pick up stuff.

sam11909
03/17/2010, 01:47 PM
If you already have sps growing well in your tank I would try to grow out some fast growing acropora if nobody in your area sells it. I've got some ORA srcipps that is growing like crazy right now. You also might want to grow some high dollar PPE if you can find some on ebay or other sites. Just find something that your LFS doesn't carry and go with that.

jhawkor
03/17/2010, 01:51 PM
There are some great SPS pieces that grow quick and fetch some pretty good cash.

gacon711
03/17/2010, 01:54 PM
I want to buy if the prices are right

TitusvileSurfer
03/17/2010, 03:09 PM
One question is what kind of stock would be most profitable? Like high end zoas that fetch a pretty penny or go with cheaper stuff?
That depends on how good of a buisness man you are.

returnofsid
03/17/2010, 03:27 PM
You'll find a lot of great information, involving wholesale propagation, frag farming, greenhouses, and such, here. http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=157

3djedi
03/18/2010, 02:39 PM
Anybody have any thoughts about obtaining tax id and buying wholesale and writing electric and water off on taxes?

darb85
03/18/2010, 02:49 PM
Anybody have any thoughts about obtaining tax id and buying wholesale and writing electric and water off on taxes?

to buy wholesale, you will need a retail location. they are a challege to get accounts with. as far as taxes, if you can show where you use the utilities, you can write them off even with out a tax ID.

3djedi
03/18/2010, 03:29 PM
to buy wholesale, you will need a retail location. they are a challege to get accounts with. as far as taxes, if you can show where you use the utilities, you can write them off even with out a tax ID.

You can write them off as business expense or as a hobby?

TiTAN
03/18/2010, 05:32 PM
I would say you would easily be able to cover the costs of your hobby with fragging. Make a couple $$$ every month is a nice welcome. It will take a couple of Months to build a nice stock.

Make sure you have a plan and talk to LFS to see what moves as there is no point in growing High End Corals if no LFS wants them but there is also selling to local reefers.

If you have space try keep some of the bread and butter Corals like Xenia, Mushrooms etc..., LFS are always selling them.