PDA

View Full Version : (R)BTA lighting levels, anyone?

arioch
03/17/2010, 03:49 PM
I'm running a LED-retro'd cube and I have a RBTA and 2 clowns in it. I've noticed the anemone being extremely sensitive to the level of light I've got beating on it (we're talking 3W CREEs driven at 1A...), very (relatively, anyway) quickly adjusting its relative height in the tank by moving around as I play with the dimmers/switches, and moving to the back of the tank/under a ledge as I top it out at the full 1A.

I borrowed a PAR meter and the tank scored between 600-700 at the surface.

Can anyone comment on how light-loving their BTAs are? Especially in MH-levels of lighting, shallow-ish tanks, etc. I'd like to get a gut feel about whether or not I should go ahead and permanently move the anemone (and the clowns that love it) to some lower lighting conditions. (And just bake acros in the cube...)

hogben
03/17/2010, 06:07 PM
They can do ok under lower lighting, but they can thrive in lots of light as well. They just need acclimated to the higher levels of lighting. Anything placed under too much light too quickly will fry including acros.

The advantage of being mobile is you can self acclimate (hide under ledge).

How long have you had it under the LEDs, and how did you acclimate it?

arioch
03/17/2010, 06:35 PM
I've had it for about 3 months now and it's still doing the same thing :/

FragFarm
03/18/2010, 02:32 PM
I find some of mine take very long to get used to light. 600 par is high. I'm getting around 400 from 250w MH BLV bulbs...

arioch
03/18/2010, 03:30 PM
Is that 400 at the surface? (probably, I guess) and how deep is the tank and how deep are your rbtas in it?