PDA

View Full Version : Good show fish for a 75G Reef tank?

WHATitDOfishies
03/17/2010, 07:00 PM
Hey, I am trying to find out what fish are good to put into my 75g:dance:. (soon to be reef tank). All the fish i am interrested in are to big or not invertabrate safe. I am looking for fish that are not kept in most tanks and that loook stunning. I am trying to stay away from clown fish Etc. I was looking at the Regal Anglefish but they need a bigger tank to be healthly and live a good life. I am kinda new to the hobby! So please help me out!:thumbsup:

jhawkor
03/17/2010, 07:03 PM
Potters Angel?

WHATitDOfishies
03/17/2010, 07:11 PM
Thx jhawkor! One question tho, Can you put angles with angles? i was thinking i might add a Flame angle into my tank but i dont know if you can just to angles in the same tank,

Sanagy
03/17/2010, 07:20 PM
i have a 75 gallon with a flame angel and i wouldn't try putting another angel in mine.

The flame roams the entire tank and i don't think it would put up with another angel in that small of a tank.

WHATitDOfishies
03/17/2010, 07:28 PM
Thx You Sanagy! I think I am going to get a flame, what are good fishly friends/tank mates for flame angles?

jhawkor
03/17/2010, 08:12 PM
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+1765&pcatid=1765-Expensive, but a great show fish.

DarthAWM
03/18/2010, 04:45 AM
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+369&pcatid=369

I would counter the above with this fish.

I recently aquired one at the local fish store. I'm not much on wrasses but this one struck me so much it was almost an impulse purchase

mrp2g
03/18/2010, 09:39 AM
Joculator Angel... if money is not a real issue...

jubjub
03/18/2010, 10:19 AM
get a very small yellow tang, i had a yellow for a long time in my 75 with no issues....the colors pop so much when i had mine everyone just said wow such a pretty fish catches your eye. much more then my purple tang which i actually like better lol

TampaReefer79
03/18/2010, 10:39 AM
Don't put a tang in your 75 unless it's a small bristletooth.

Sanagy
03/18/2010, 12:26 PM
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse and the blue spot jawfish are nice additions that stand out in appearance.

Shots from my tank
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sanagy/75G%20reef/IMG_0150.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sanagy/75G%20reef/IMG_0147.jpg

Just keep in mind that with those types of fish a good cover would be needed.

jubjub
03/18/2010, 12:59 PM
Don't put a tang in your 75 unless it's a small bristletooth.

^^ if your gonna post comments like this more insight would be a lovely thing i'd actually like to know why it was so bad for this

bluezooaquatics seems to think 75 is good as well as LOTs of people put yellow tangs in 75's and they are quite stunning imo.

Sanagy
03/18/2010, 01:47 PM
^^ if your gonna post comments like this more insight would be a lovely thing i'd actually like to know why it was so bad for this

bluezooaquatics seems to think 75 is good as well as LOTs of people put yellow tangs in 75's and they are quite stunning imo.

lol...i have a yellow in my 75 too, but didn't say anything since the tang police showed up:rollface:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/sanagy/75G%20reef/IMG_0148.jpg

Toddrtrex
03/18/2010, 01:50 PM
IMO, a yellow is borderline for a 75, it will really depend on what other fish you have in there and the layout of the tank. Do think that a bristletooth would be better, but I can understand wanting/putting one in a 75.

TampaReefer79
03/18/2010, 05:06 PM
get a very small yellow tang, i had a yellow for a long time in my 75 with no issues....the colors pop so much when i had mine everyone just said wow such a pretty fish catches your eye. much more then my purple tang which i actually like better lol

I didn't personally call you out when I posted not to put a YT in a 75...but since you want me to speak to you directly, here ya go:

And let me preface this by saying, IN MY OPINION A 75 gallon tank (48"x18") is too small for a tang, save for a small bristletooth. Even if there is minimal live rock in the tank, it's just too small. I don't like acanthurs, zebrasoma, unicorns or paracanthus tangs in ANY 4' tank IE: 55, 75, 90, 120. There's just not enough swimming room. And yes I believe this to be the case even for the 'tiny' ones you see in the store. Two shakes of the tail and he's at the end of the tank already. Not to mention the OP is a newb and you're making him/her think it's ok to put tangs in this tank. You mention the YT AND a purple tang to them. For all they know, you're saying go out and get a FEW tangs. Know what I mean?

And just because you did it 'for a long time' doesn't mean that it was the right thing to do. Again, it's my opinion and I'm gonna stick with it. I wouldn't tell the OP to go out and start buying tangs. I'm gonna venture a guess and say that most of the folks with smaller tanks with tangs, 'plan' on upgrading in the future. The upgrade never happens and they keep the fish in the small tanks because they are attached. If you can't house the fish properly from day 1, don't get it. That's a pretty good philosophy to live by if you ask me. Don't make the fish suffer until you can properly care for it. Doing so just sounds insane. I see tangs in 40 breeders, 3 foot 65's and all kinds of bothersome nonesense on here. Now I know why the 'tang debate' is so hated by mods and staff. I seem to have to repeat the same story every other day. lol And the situation I love most is when someone asks if their tank is big enough for a tang...100 people post saying it isn't, and then you have that ONE that says, sure go for it and they do it. It's like they were going to do it anyway but asked for advice anyway...knowing they weren't going to listen to any of it. (except the advice they WANTED TO HEAR)

And if bluezooaquatics says that a 75 is good enough, then they don't know what they are talking about. I feel that most of those sites/books are way underating how large a tank should be for surgeons. I'm sure they do it with other fish, but I'm mostly interested in tangs and therefore don't research other fish. I just did a quick google search and most sites say a 55 is ok too for a YT. I guess there really isn't a difference between a 55 and 75...but it still doesn't make it right because a website says so. Live Aquaria seems to be 'on the ball' when it comes to this stuff. When buying a fish, buy it calculating it's full grown size, not the size at the store. In the case of the yellow tang, you're talking about an 8 inch fish. I had a yellow tang a few years ago that was just huge. I couldn't imagine him in a 75, much less a 55. 6' and better for these guys. :thumbsup: Don't forget also that in a 75, a YT could wreck absolute havoc. I didn't say WILL, I said COULD.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+392&pcatid=392

TampaReefer79
03/18/2010, 05:09 PM
Almost forgot to respond to when you said that 'lots of people here have tangs in 75's'. Again, just like if a website says it's ok...just because 'lot's of people do it', doesn't mean it's right. Lots of people do drugs. Does that mean I should?

The last point I'll make that I almost forgot is that the OP being a newb doesn't have a setup established enough for a tang. These fish aren't for newly set up aquaria.

WHATitDOfishies
03/18/2010, 06:46 PM
THX alot all for helping me out!!
I am not gonna get a tang b/c I dont like keeping fish that need a big space than to have and live a happy fish life than my 75g. I looking at Darf Loin fish today and i want a Pepperment lion fish but they hard to get. What tankmates are good for Darf loin Fish?

TampaReefer79
03/18/2010, 07:02 PM
I am not gonna get a tang b/c I dont like keeping fish that need a big space than to have and live a happy fish life than my 75g. I looking at Darf Loin fish today and i want a Pepperment lion fish but they hard to get. What tankmates are good for Darf loin Fish?

I've never heard of a peppermint lion fish...but the fuzzy dwarf lion is pretty cool! Suitable tank mates are going to be anything he can't fit in his mouth. lol And don't underestimate how big his mouth is. ;)

WHATitDOfishies
03/18/2010, 07:16 PM
I've never heard of a peppermint lion fish...but the fuzzy dwarf lion is pretty cool! Suitable tank mates are going to be anything he can't fit in his mouth. lol And don't underestimate how big his mouth is. ;)

Thx Alot. I totally agree with the how tank thing. I am a kinda person how likes to keep fish happy and not stress them out in a small tank Ect.

Thx 4 you help!:dance:

palmer373
03/18/2010, 09:36 PM
TR79- Im learning not to ask for advice on the forums becuase it cuases too much adebate (argueing). do what you think is ok, thats what im going with for now.

jhawkor
03/18/2010, 11:00 PM
IMO, a yellow is borderline for a 75, it will really depend on what other fish you have in there and the layout of the tank. Do think that a bristletooth would be better, but I can understand wanting/putting one in a 75.

I tried a small Yellow Tang in my 75. It was a terror, extremely mean and territorial. I removed it, and I'll never put a tang in a 4 foot tank again.

BongoSolo3
03/19/2010, 05:43 AM
You could go with a Coral Beauty. I have one in my 75 that is awesome - it is very social and always cruising around in and out of the rock.

Though I guess they are hit or miss with coral. Fortunately, mine doesn't touch them. It is more than happy picking algae and amphipods off the LR.

TampaReefer79
03/19/2010, 06:35 AM
TR79- Im learning not to ask for advice on the forums becuase it cuases too much adebate (argueing). do what you think is ok, thats what im going with for now.

Then don't ask, I don't know what to tell you. If you come to a public forum and ASK FOR ADVICE, I'm going to give it to you. Whether you like it or take my advice or not, that's up to you. Every person is going to have a different opinion and when you ask a question about a fish in a certain size tanks, you will get a debate. That's what asking for advice does. I don't believe in these big tangs in little tanks...read below for another reason why. I am FAR from the only person that believes in this 'rule', but I seem to be the only one that strongly advocates it. And then I get singled out as the 'tang police'. I have a feeling this is because I'm still 'newer' and not tired of typing the same thing over and over. And over and over. I think most of the 'elder statesmen' believe the same thing and are just tired of telling the same thing to the same people and having them not listen anyway. I'm not to that point and I ill debate what I believe. :beer:

I tried a small Yellow Tang in my 75. It was a terror, extremely mean and territorial. I removed it, and I'll never put a tang in a 4 foot tank again.

velvetelvis
03/19/2010, 07:24 AM
:beer: :thumbsup: TampaReefer79

ShilohPSU
03/19/2010, 11:53 PM
Can you put angles with angles?

Do not put angels with angels - they will fight til one or both end up dying. I have seen multiple angels in very large tanks like 500g. Also a lot of angels are not reef safe.

As far as tangs go, I've had a sailfin tang for almost 3 years. He is perfectly happy and healthy. He spent the first year in a 55g and the last 2 in a 72g bowfront. I bought a baby hippo tang the size of a quarter about year ago. He is now very big and causing problems. He killed my mated pair of bangaii cardinal last week and is eating my crocea clam. I have already made arrangements with my LFS to trade him in for credit. I thought that if I raised it from a baby and kept him well fed, he would be a "peaceful community fish" like hippos are supposed to be. But he is obviously not peaceful probably because he wants more room. Here is a pic of my setup with both tangs. As you can see, they are both very fat and healthy.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1701&pictureid=11103

cubsFAN
03/20/2010, 12:10 AM
if you dont have angles in your tank, won't all the water fall out? sorry.

ShilohPSU
03/20/2010, 12:46 AM
:) I'm posting from an iPhone that I just got earlier this week. It switches the words around sometimes. Ill go back and edit that. Thanks

TampaReefer79
03/20/2010, 08:40 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lolspin::lolspin::lolspin:

TampaReefer79
03/20/2010, 08:49 AM
Do not put angels with angels - they will fight til one or both end up dying. I have seen multiple angels in very large tanks like 500g. Also a lot of angels are not reef safe.

As far as tangs go, I've had a sailfin tang for almost 3 years. He is perfectly happy and healthy. He spent the first year in a 55g and the last 2 in a 72g bowfront. I bought a baby hippo tang the size of a quarter about year ago. He is now very big and causing problems. He killed my mated pair of bangaii cardinal last week and is eating my crocea clam. I have already made arrangements with my LFS to trade him in for credit. I thought that if I raised it from a baby and kept him well fed, he would be a "peaceful community fish" like hippos are supposed to be. But he is obviously not peaceful probably because he wants more room. Here is a pic of my setup with both tangs. As you can see, they are both very fat and healthy.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1701&pictureid=11103

Please don't take this the wrong way, but both of those fish are way too big for a 72 gallon bowfront. The fact that the sailfin was in a 55 is even crazier. I have a feeling your hippo was acting out because he was cramped. You will need to upgrade like NOW if you want to keep the sailfin disease and stress free. And I read this as an excuse to keep tangs in tiny tanks all the time...'they are happy and healthy'...how do you know this? Are you a fish whisperer and you talk to them? lol :fish1: And in your own words, the hippo 'wants more room'. You think a fish that will be 6 inches larger than the hippo doesn't? You have one of the largest zebrasoma tangs in a 72 bowfront.

Here's another thing I don't undestand...on this website called 'animal world', they say that a hippo tang can reach 12 inches (which is true) yet says that they recommend at least a 75 gallon tank for an adult. What is THAT about? Where do these websites get their tank size recommendations from?

RoganTerrance
03/20/2010, 08:50 AM

dose your purple tang and yellow tang fight

RoganTerrance
03/20/2010, 08:53 AM

if you get a loin fish dont get Shrimp the loin fish will eat them

TampaReefer79
03/20/2010, 09:04 AM
if you get a loin fish dont get Shrimp the loin fish will eat them

HAHA, isn't that the truth. I think it's safe to say you could kiss anything that it could fit into it's mouth goodbye! And boy can they open that mouth!

ShilohPSU
03/20/2010, 11:28 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but both of those fish are way too big for a 72 gallon bowfront. The fact that the sailfin was in a 55 is even crazier. I have a feeling your hippo was acting out because he was cramped. You will need to upgrade like NOW if you want to keep the sailfin disease and stress free. And I read this as an excuse to keep tangs in tiny tanks all the time...'they are happy and healthy'...how do you know this? Are you a fish whisperer and you talk to them? lol :fish1: And in your own words, the hippo 'wants more room'. You think a fish that will be 6 inches larger than the hippo doesn't? You have one of the largest zebrasoma tangs in a 72 bowfront.

I still think the sailfin tang is happy. I've watched him for 3 years now and he has never acted out or caused any problems like the hippo. He swims around and grazes in a few of his favorite spots throughout the day and eats like a pig at feeding time. He is a fairly large fish these days, but he has been disease free for 3 years. If I notice any changes in behavior in the future, I'll assume it's because he's out of room and unhappy. I'm not a fish whisperer (unfortunately) but I'm up to 11 years of being in the saltwater hobby. I've killed plenty of fish at the begining, and can tell when a fish is stressed out and unhappy. I think I cursed myself by bragging to friends and people at the LFS. "I basically only get to window shop for fish, because my tank is full and my fish never die (which is a good thing)"

This is my first hippo tang, which I raised from a quarter-sized baby. The hippo is about 75% the size of the sailfin tang right now. He was a happy hardy fish until 2 weeks ago. I have no problem with getting rid of him because he obviously isn't happy and is causing problems. There is a huge behavior difference between the hippo and sailfin, even though the hippo is significantly smaller. I appreciate all the advice and would love to have a larger 200+ gallon tank. But that's not going to happen until I settle down and own a home. So the hippo is leaving and the sailfin is staying until he starts causing problems or shows changes in his behavior.

wireefman
03/20/2010, 11:34 AM
well if it were me and i was getting a "show" fish
Liopropoma carmabi
candy basslet :)

batdisciple
03/20/2010, 11:38 PM
clown goby nuff said

xxtriggermanxx
03/21/2010, 08:46 AM
Not if it's a bowl ! :smokin:

TampaReefer79
03/21/2010, 12:19 PM

Ahhh, good point. My buddy has a cylinder...

WHATitDOfishies
03/21/2010, 03:19 PM
Thx shilohPSU, that helped alot

cubsFAN
03/21/2010, 05:34 PM

took it into consideration my friends. even a bowl sits flat.

cubsFAN
03/21/2010, 05:46 PM
even a completely round aquarium will contain angles. in any case it was a terrible joke and should have never been repeated.

TampaReefer79
03/21/2010, 06:13 PM
even a completely round aquarium will contain angles. in any case it was a terrible joke and should have never been repeated.

:lmao: