PDA

View Full Version : Few days of lights out = much better coloration!

plancton
03/17/2010, 11:39 PM
Its true, Iīve done it in two ocasions to fight dinoflagellates and after 2-3 days of lights out, you turn them back on to find your corals with a way more colorful and intense coloration, they glow and it is obvious!.

They say Sprung explains it in one of his books: reef aquarium vol 1.

In nature sometimes with a storm or cloudy days, corals also spend a few days in darkness.

A friend says its because they expell some excesive xooanthellae. Iīm thinking about doing 2 days of black out twice a month!, starting the day of water change, they seem to respond better this way.

Any experience on this?

pledosophy
03/18/2010, 01:14 AM
Do the waterchange after the lights out. If you do a lights out period you will start to have some species of algaes release spores as they die off. A waterchange after the fact removes a portion of these spores.

There is a very long thread around about people doing 3 days of darkeness as part of there routine.

JME

Eel Freak
03/18/2010, 07:13 AM
Link?

Bmgrocks
03/18/2010, 07:36 AM
its the guy with the 40breeder, skimmerless, sumpless, minimal waterchange tank...
time for the archives!

Bmgrocks
03/18/2010, 07:44 AM
BEHOLD

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1078532

plancton
03/18/2010, 11:55 AM
I'm doing it after waterchange because I have the cursed seed (dinoflagellates) just a bit, but they feed on trace elements, therefore I must do the blackout after the waterchange, that way they suffer, and I havenīt seen any negative effects from the release of algae spores, and the corals are looking way better.

Do the waterchange after the lights out. If you do a lights out period you will start to have some species of algaes release spores as they die off. A waterchange after the fact removes a portion of these spores.

There is a very long thread around about people doing 3 days of darkeness as part of there routine.

JME