PDA

View Full Version : Red specks on my marco rocks

nj_evoIXgsr
03/18/2010, 08:10 AM
I have some red specks on my marco rocks going through a new setup not sure if it's coraline or another bump in the road.

It is definitely not red bugs.
It doesn't look like cyano. red cyano usually looks slimy - dealt with it in a previous tank

my rodi is displaying 0ppm
use tropic marine pro
sg - 1.025
nitrite - 0
nh3 ammonia - 0
ph - 8.4
nitrate - 5ppm

did not test alk, calcium, mg for obvious reasons nothing is really in there that would care for it. unless those parameters will help determine situation i will test.

i figured it as a problem since i believe the color of coraline is dependent on the colors of coraline directly available in the system. so if you take a snail that has yellow coraline on it you can scrape it into the system and yellow coraline will potentially grow.

Navyblue
03/18/2010, 08:23 AM
I'd say most likely.

nj_evoIXgsr
03/18/2010, 08:29 AM
a little vague after rereading it.....

the red specks look encrusting, they are approximate size of a 1/8 bit, deep dark red almost mahogany

from what i can see none of my snails carry any coraline on their shells. it was seeded with some live rock previously but no red on those rocks and did not color up during that time before upgrading to my current system.

khaosinc
03/18/2010, 12:17 PM
when I set up my tank with marco rock (key largo stuff) I had coraline starting in the rocks before I was done with the cycle. Might just be that. Pics would help

pjewett
03/18/2010, 03:08 PM
hm. my marco rocks are doing the same thing. 1st it was just blue coraline showing up in growing specs all over the rocks but lately there have been a LOT of these red encrusting spots all over them. from what i can see it's only on the marco rocks which i added maybe a month ago.