PDA

View Full Version : Raising PH via Kalk

jbanks
03/18/2010, 03:09 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am considering once again on using Kalk to help boost the PH of my tank, which is in the basement. Currently it reaches about 8.1 during the day and drops to 7.8 in the night. The tank is doing well, but my growth is somewhat slow on my SPS IMO. I already use a calcium reactor to balance Cal & Alk.. So, is there a rule of thumb as to how much kalk per gallon I should be adding to my top-off water. Or should I set up a separate drip for the kalk? I should also mention that I am carbon dosing, so I am very concerned that my AlK doesn't go over 9dkh max. Any suggestions would be appreciated... Alternative solutions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

HighlandReefer
03/18/2010, 05:37 PM
Usually it is recommended to start off with mixing kalk at 1 teaspoon kalk per 1 gallon of rodi and adjust up or down to maintain your alk level. Kalk is maxed out at 2 teaspoons per gallon (unless you add vinegar to the mix). The safest method would be to drip kalk with checks and balances to prevent overdose, which could drive your pH too high and cause problems.

Randy provides more information in this article:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

jbanks
03/18/2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks Cliff! I will definitely check Randy's article as well.

jimsplace
03/19/2010, 05:30 AM
There is really nothing wrong with the 8.1-7.8 range you currently have. If everything is doing good, I wouldn't worry about it.

jbanks
03/19/2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks for you reply jamesplace.. Everything is OK, but I know things could be better with growth with all my other parameters being in check.. I've read from a few sources that state low ph stresses the coral and stunts growth. If the kalk doesn't work out for me, I will simply wean the tank off of it. Some good news is that with the weather getting warmer, I have been able to open my window in my equipment room where the sump is and within 2 days I am seeing a slight jump in the ph. Hopefully, it will continue while I'm waiting on the Kalk.. If it does, I may just hold off and dose the kalk in the colder months only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmz
03/19/2010, 09:17 AM
I used both kalk and a calcium reactor for years. For the last 6 months or so I have not needed the calcium reactor.
I dose the limewaer with a peristaltic pump from a still reservoir
( brute garbage can).
It was difficult to get the alkalinity down under 10 with both the reactor and the limewater dosing in play.
I have a lot of sps and the kalk meets the needs in my system at about 1.5 tsps per gallon. I also dose vodka and vinegar which helps keep the ph down( 8.35 night day/8.2 night) and maintain relatively low nutrients PO4 0.04ppm. NO3 >2ppm. Calcium is 540ppm, Magnesium 1400ppm and alkalinity 10dkh . Coralife salt is used.

Starting with 1 tsps er gallon or less along with a dial back on the calcium reactor may get you where you want to be .

David Grigor
03/19/2010, 10:00 AM
I'm a kalkwasser user and a proponent of it ( with redundancies in place).

However, I too would be inclined to just leave as is. Especially if more growth is your only complaint.

When you read this article it may dispell some of your thinking on pH and calcification.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733599

In a nutshell : "Corals prefer HCO3- over CO3-- for calcification and at lower pH there is more HCO3"

jbanks
03/19/2010, 10:35 AM
Fantastic information guys.. I'm by no means a chemistry expert, but I got the gist of it.. Highlander, did anyone ever respond as to whether those tanks with low pH and high CO2 benefitted with higher AlK? Due to the Carbon dosing, I wonder if the same would hold true for me.. I can tell you that I let my alk go too high at one point and I did notice burnt tips on my Green Slimer. I lowered the Alk by taking the Ca reactor off line and switching my salt mix and BOOM... the slimer reacted within a week and started taking off... Right now it seems to be only one of two corals (the other...tricolor Valida) showing any consistent growth in my tank.. Which then opens up another viewpoint within that thread about different species or genotypes having different requirements.. My tank is about 9 months old now and I am sure it has a way to go before reaching maturity.. I may just fall back see how things go as is... You guys are the best!

tmz
03/19/2010, 10:45 AM
FWIW,When PO4 was higher in my system(>0.1ppm) than now(<.0.05) higher alkalinity (12 to 14 dkh) worked fine. At lower nutrient levels with high alkalinity I get burnt tips /stn at dkh over 11dkh.

jbanks
03/19/2010, 11:02 AM
Wow.. It seems that we are in the same boat then.. I'll keep an eye on the Alk... Thanks again.