PDA

View Full Version : Divers Den SA Latz

Reefvette
03/18/2010, 05:21 PM
I wanna hear some opinions on them but all i gotta say.

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Those bars and colors better fill in cause that is not the healthiest lookin fish i have ever seen.

No offense to SA but Live aquaria gotta be crazy to think those fish are worth 599.99

velvetelvis
03/18/2010, 05:25 PM
I'm really glad people are breeding them instead of pulling them out of wild 'nems...but I have to admit that I also really hope they color up nice. They're still little...maybe when they get some growth on them and fill out?

Reefvette
03/18/2010, 05:33 PM
The color and mis bar thing is really wierd.

Most of these fish look like some sort of mal nutrition during meta or something.

I want latz and this is a cheaper alternative but at what cost.

criccio
03/18/2010, 05:35 PM
What garbage. I guess when money talks integrity walks, which seems to be quite common place with breeders these days.

MarinaP
03/18/2010, 05:43 PM
Oh the irony - wide-band clownfish with incomplete midbar :rolleyes:

velvetelvis
03/18/2010, 05:46 PM
I've bought fish from SA before and they were always very high quality. I'm surprised they haven't "tweaked" a bit more before releasing them to the market.

MarinaP
03/18/2010, 05:49 PM
The logic is that misbars should produce fully barred offsprings.

Reefvette
03/18/2010, 05:49 PM
What annoys me more is that Kevin would label these fish at Latz but not put any disclaimer or anything that there bars might not fill in.

I would sell my leucokranos for a nice pair of latz. but not those.

clowns101
03/18/2010, 05:54 PM
I would think that all the fish wouldnt have mis-bars.All the fish released by SA seem to have mis-bars.Im talking about the Latzs.I woulnt pay more than $350 to $400 for this pair.DFS would still make a heafty profit either way.

criccio
03/18/2010, 05:57 PM
They actually look more like saddlebacks than latz.

Dan
03/18/2010, 07:23 PM
Maybe they are the next "picasso" clowns and we are all just missing the "splendor of these unique and rare color morphs". Perhaps some "naked" latz will be produced. I'll bet those "Wyoming Wide Bands" would fetch $1000 each. Seriously, to each their own. Some folks like them. Not me. Years ago I predicted the "guppification" of clowns as more people had more success rearing clowns in captivity. Well, it's here. Now if I could only predict the next Powerball numbers. Sigh.

Dan

velvetelvis
03/18/2010, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, humans have this uncontrollable craving for novelty, and seem to think they can improve on fish that are perfectly good-looking to begin with. IMO, the form and colors of wild fish coming off the reef are what CB fish should look like, and that's what breeders should shoot for. Breeders are doing wild fishes a favor by making their collection unnecessary, but I'd hate to see aquarists turning away from CB fish because of aforesaid "guppification".

Some CB varieties, like picasso clowns or some brightly colored seahorses, can be quite lovely; but for my money, a nice healthy CB fish that looks like its wild cousins beats designer varieties any day of the week.

clowns101
03/18/2010, 08:47 PM
I just cant belive they sold!

Dan
03/19/2010, 09:29 AM
Yep. Someone liked them. It's great that Latz, Mccs, and others are being bred and reared. Would like to see more of the wild type patterns being produced. I thought SA had a small percent that expressed the wild phenotype. Where are they? Have they all sold?

Dan

Pinkskunk
03/19/2010, 09:47 AM
are these wide-band clowns? :hmm4:

criccio
03/19/2010, 11:10 AM
No, they are A. polymnus.

landlord
03/19/2010, 11:21 AM
A pair just landed in Dayton, OH for 499.99 wondering if they were the same??

clownman77
03/20/2010, 05:24 PM
not worth 600 to me

Reefvette
03/22/2010, 07:30 AM
Anyone got pics?

cubsFAN
03/22/2010, 04:38 PM
I would also like to see pics please.

LargeAngels
03/23/2010, 07:12 AM
Only 10% of them are full barred, even after 1 year. No reason offsprings shouldn't be able to be full barred.

http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/_uploads/image/latz1.jpg

Reefvette
03/23/2010, 07:22 AM
It has to be something missing from their diet.

I know awhile ago someone gave me the link to an article where they talked about food in a clowns stomach.

MarinaP
03/23/2010, 07:35 AM
In Allen's 1972 book "Anemonefish" stomach content of different species was broken down into percentages in detail. We know what they eat in the wild.. and still cannot replicate nature on many occasions :(

Reefvette
03/23/2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the assist.

When i first got my akinydnos they had that nice brown color, More carmel. I started to feed them spirulina and they start to darken up more to the dark brown color.

I know someone had suggested that Luecs didnt keep their color because of the lack of keratin(sp). I feed my leucos Rods food which contains squid and other stuff with keratin and they have kept their color.

Something or the lack of must hinder their ability to produce full barring. Look at all the crazy clowns that come out of ORA.

MarinaP
03/23/2010, 08:25 AM
Spirulina rules when it comes to clownfish diet. In most tanks clowns get too much meaty foods.

I feed my leuks with foods dressed with naturose or the like.

The more I think about the diet of spawning pairs of rare species (caps, chrys, latz, tris), the more I am inclined to think that they do not get enough copepods. It is impossible to maintain enough of required species of copepods in a tank :(

it is easier to produce misbars and call them "designer" clowns than to spend time and money on breeding rare species.

LargeAngels
03/23/2010, 08:32 AM
it is easier to produce misbars and call them "designer" clowns than to spend time and money on breeding rare species.

That is too funny, and true.

Reefvette
03/23/2010, 08:40 AM
Is there anyone who can put me in contact with someone from SA. Id like to speak to them about getting a small small pair thru my fish store of course. Ones that are still developing.

Its funny my lueco female is paired with a orange skunk and they have started to do the shimmy back and forth under their magnifica.

Marina, i add a bottle of tigger pods every month. I also add live mysis too.

I think it helps to repopulate.

dexterd
05/13/2010, 02:13 AM
I just acquired 3 latz from blue zoo but was unaware they were misbars. I assume they came from SA. I was surprised when I got them but am not concerned. I wonder if they just take a long time to bar up, like percs. I have had some that take up to 2 years to bar and others that had their bars at 4 months. But I know misbars can produce normally barred fish so am not concerned. Will buy a wildcaught to put with them for genetic diversity. They were a price I could afford. I am also working with establishing a colony of blue lines. They are in a reef situation that is 150 gals.
Teresa

Maximus
05/13/2010, 09:20 AM
Teresa, do you have any pics of them? I am also thinking about buying a pair from Blue Zoo. How large are they?

WDLV
05/13/2010, 09:42 AM
In Allen's 1972 book "Anemonefish" stomach content of different species was broken down into percentages in detail. We know what they eat in the wild.. and still cannot replicate nature on many occasions :(

Thanks for the assist.

When i first got my akinydnos they had that nice brown color, More carmel. I started to feed them spirulina and they start to darken up more to the dark brown color.

I know someone had suggested that Luecs didnt keep their color because of the lack of keratin(sp). I feed my leucos Rods food which contains squid and other stuff with keratin and they have kept their color.

Something or the lack of must hinder their ability to produce full barring. Look at all the crazy clowns that come out of ORA.

I'm interested in this topic and would be happy to create another thread if anyone screams "foul" of the following OT post...

Might it be possible if you had a refugium tank with an attached display -vs- doing it the other way around? Like maybe having a 180 gallon full of chaeto and using only a 2'x2' cube of the tank for the actual fish?

dexterd
05/16/2010, 04:15 AM
They are a good 2.5 inches. They appear to be doing fine. I will try to take pics of them today. I have had them about a week. One is getting picked on a bit. I bought 3 hoping for 2 to pr up.
Another thing I read about misbars is the amount t-iso you have in the rots you feed through day 10. Any info on that? Right now I am feeding straight nanno to my rots who are eaten by my larva. Reed mariculture gave a talk on it back at our club a while back.

MarinaP
05/16/2010, 06:20 AM
T-iso and Pavlova are easy to incorporate in rots' diet as enrichment. Use a separate container and gut load rots a few hours before feeding them to the larvae. Don't add t-iso to rotifer colonies, you will most likely crush them.