PDA

View Full Version : Is there a coral or anemone that a clownfish might host like this?

luconi
03/18/2010, 05:36 PM
Hi.. I was wondering if there is any kind of coral or anemone, a clownfish does not have to host it, that is cheap, can handle nitrates at 15 ppm, does not NEED additives and can handle a ph at around 7.9. Is there anything like this at all?

Also.. Can you tell me what anemones or corals would thrive in a tank with no additives for reefs being added and water parameters at:

Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 15
Ph: 7.9-8.0
Alkalinity: 8-9 dkh
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0

Thank you!

Toddrtrex
03/18/2010, 06:27 PM
Need to know what size tank, what lights and what is all in the tank.

luconi
03/18/2010, 07:41 PM
Need to know what size tank, what lights and what is all in the tank.

It is a biocube 29 with stock lighting. I have a Koralia 2 powerhead (turbo pump) also. In my tank is a clownfish, a coral beauty, snails (lots of babies too), a feather duster that came on the live rock, a blue tuxedo urchin, an arrow crab, and a sally lightfoot. But really what I wanted to know is if there is one that would be able to thrive or just live in those water conditions. I would like to know about if they would work in my biocube also, though.

garygb
03/18/2010, 08:26 PM
I would focus my attention on getting the water parameters in check first and then choosing an anemone. For example, chaeto would be one possible solution to the high nitrates. Regular water changes, protein skimming, and using a buffer-- if needed, could help with the ph. There are hardier species of anemones. If you want a hosting species, however, I would get the water quality up a bit before considering one myself.

pugcrush
03/18/2010, 11:39 PM
How old is your tank?

sfinley
03/19/2010, 12:12 PM
i would have to say with stock lighting i dont think really any anemones would thrive in your tankimo

Powdermonkey
03/19/2010, 01:26 PM
With stock lights and your water I would stay away from any nems. Your clowns dont have to have something to host. They may not host even if you put a nem in there.

Powdermonkey
03/19/2010, 01:28 PM
Sorry read right over the "not hosting part". What kind of lights are on it? There will be some soft corals that can be suggested.

steve.sanchez17
03/21/2010, 11:29 PM
i have a 70 gal with a wavepoint 156w it has 4 bulbs two white ones and two blue ones. i also havde e1 true perc one black and white clown and one picasso clown any ideas on a HArdy anemone i can get, if theres any.

cubsFAN
03/22/2010, 12:23 AM
I'd stay away from nems until you gain a little more experience. I have many other great suggestions for soft and stony corals that make great nem substitutes that are hardy and dont require high lighting. My first choice is a large toadstool. THese have the tentacles and the folds that make them great for the fish to just rest in. Another good choice are green hairy mushrooms. great color, grow fast, easy to take care of. Another choice, but not as good as the previously mentioned are any larger colonies of euphyllia species. corals like the torch and hammer are usually good hosts for clowns, though the clowns sometimes can irritate the coral. Steve. I would really suggest getting rid of one of those clowns. One will die as suggested in your earlier post. Just trying to help.

bozoman
03/22/2010, 05:27 AM
Many clown fish will host in various xenia in the absense of better alternatives, although there is no guarantee that they will. Xenia will require a little more light than what you have. I assume stock lights mean one or two 18w tubes. Xenia will also help clean your water if you are good about cutting it back as it grows. My Ocellaris hosted in some pom pom xenia after about 4 weeks in a similar tank I har running while my 90 was cycling after a move. It's an idea.

tibob32
03/22/2010, 05:41 AM
+1 for xenia

PayasoDelMar
03/22/2010, 02:27 PM
mushrooms and palys?