PDA

View Full Version : Help on picking an anenome

Roblox84
03/18/2010, 08:15 PM
I have a hard time picking out an anenome for my 75 soft coral reef bare bottom. Can anyone help me decide on a good anenome to keep with corals. I would like something that when I plant it down, it doesn't move too much and sting my other corals. And one that doesn't get to big. I have kept one anenome in my 20 gallon reef which I think was a condy or hatian (white with pink tips) and it seemed to do fine living amongst corals because if it moved, the stingers would retract and it would go around my corals. Would this be a good one to try again in this aquarium since they are fairly small or is there a better pick? I have 440 watts of vho.

38bill
03/18/2010, 09:35 PM
With a BB you are limited as many anemones need a sand bed to live in. I would think that a RBTA or any of the BTA's would be good as they live in the rocks and they are fairly easy to keep happy. Size can be a problem but see if you can find a clone from a nem that tends to stay small. Some people I know have nems that split when only 5" to 6" in dia but mine tend to go to 12"+ before they split. My BTA's have been very good about not moving. Four of them have never moved more than a couple inches since they were added to my display. I have a lime green BTA and a RBTA that will swap places every now and then but they don't wander away. I run BB by the way.

dudley moray
03/18/2010, 09:54 PM
agreed a bubble tip is your best choice !

jupiter
03/19/2010, 05:10 AM
BTA is your only choice. The only other host anemone that you can keep BB is a ritteri (H. magnifica) and these are VERY large and one of, if not the, most difficult. All other anemones will wander until they find a place to burrow - which they never will - and will die.