PDA

View Full Version : cyanobacteria help

texas57
03/18/2010, 09:43 PM
i am having a problem with red cyanobacteria. I have been having to use a power head to remove it from the rocks and substrate and filter it out with a fish net and filters. I tested my water a couple days ago, have zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I have one fish that has been acting a little different-meaning not swimming like it should and not eating. Does the cyanobacteria produce toxins in the water or is there something else going on in the tank. I have heard about chemi clean but haven't tried it yet-has anyone ever used it before? i was wondering if it is something that needs to be added on a continuous basis or if it is a one time treat all type of thing? Any advice would be helpful

thanks
texas57

pwoller
03/18/2010, 09:49 PM
i am having a problem with red cyanobacteria. I have been having to use a power head to remove it from the rocks and substrate and filter it out with a fish net and filters. I tested my water a couple days ago, have zero ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I have one fish that has been acting a little different-meaning not swimming like it should and not eating. Does the cyanobacteria produce toxins in the water or is there something else going on in the tank. I have heard about chemi clean but haven't tried it yet-has anyone ever used it before? i was wondering if it is something that needs to be added on a continuous basis or if it is a one time treat all type of thing? Any advice would be helpful

thanks
texas57

Chemi clean, I dont usually go for easy fixes but this one is safe. Then improve your flow in the tank.

90greefman
03/18/2010, 10:13 PM
Chemiclean works great. And yes, I believe if your fish try and eat the cyano it can harm or kill them. I had a yellow tang die and I attribute it to him eating the cyano.