PDA

View Full Version : New 14 gallon bio cube

HASTINGSRJ
03/19/2010, 05:31 AM
Hello all, I recently set up a 14 gallon biocube. I was forced to take down my 90 gallon due to a recent move to Okinawa Japan:( However i was able to take my cube with me. I do have a few questions about filtration and lighting. I upgraded my lights with a kit from nanotuners, I have 3 bulbs now and the local corals I have seem to be doing well. I ended up taking my LR with me from the states, I packed it in baggies and shipped it with the tank. I grabbed a couple of rocks from the ocean and put them in there as well. I am wondering about extra filtration. Anyone put a sump or some type of canister filter on theirs? Also considering taking the hood off and going with a PC or a T5? Any input is greatly appreciated. Oh one thing you may notice in the pics, is my tank looks a bit dull from the lighting. One of my bulbs is out and I have a new one on order. Or the wires were messed up during the move....hmm

Here in Japan, the corals are cheap, there is a coral farm around the corner from my base. And the fish....wow, cheap. Percs for $12.00 a piece. And I can have all the fresh salt water I want for free:D

Current stock list:
2 false percs
1 bicolor blenny
1 cleaner shrimp
1 royal dottyback
2 chromis
1 seabea anenome
1 clam
some softies
zoas
and a few things I dont know what they are, just got them cheap (clam $4.00, anem $11.00)..lol

looking for some sugetions for what else I can put in here fish wise.

Heres a few pics enjoy

Rob

SurfnFish
03/19/2010, 09:14 AM
Oh my gosh! Those prices are ridiculous. You are very lucky. I have a BC 14 as well. I took the top off and put a 150w MH pendant over it. I like it a lot better. I only keep 2 clowns, but have a lot of corals (sps and lps). You can turn your back three chambers into a filtration system. I have chaeto and LR in the middle chamber and chemipure in the third chamber. It works well.

cabezon2469
03/19/2010, 09:25 AM
wow, something in Japan that is inexpensive. nice tank.

cmac23
03/19/2010, 11:26 AM
what branch are you in?

HASTINGSRJ
03/19/2010, 02:34 PM
Oh my gosh! Those prices are ridiculous. You are very lucky. I have a BC 14 as well. I took the top off and put a 150w MH pendant over it. I like it a lot better. I only keep 2 clowns, but have a lot of corals (sps and lps). You can turn your back three chambers into a filtration system. I have chaeto and LR in the middle chamber and chemipure in the third chamber. It works well.
Yeah, I have been looking for some cheato alge, but the whole language barrier things is killing me...lol. I did see a pic of your tank, looks great! Right now I have the biocube filter in the first chamber, skimmer in the middle and nothing but the return pump in the 3rd....

wow, something in Japan that is inexpensive. nice tank.
Yeah believe it or not, thing here from the LFS's and coral farm are really cheap.

what branch are you in?

USMC

cmac23
03/19/2010, 04:13 PM
thanks for your service! im in the USN. im a recruiter

HASTINGSRJ
03/19/2010, 05:00 PM
Well thank you. I used to be a recruiter, way back when. 98-01. I am gettting ready to retire in less than 2 years. Cant wait!!!!

HASTINGSRJ
03/20/2010, 06:08 AM
Picked up a 6 line wrasse and 3 snails tonight for $13.00 from the LFS. Hopefully the snails will help with the alge bloom I seem to be having. I also did a water change today as well, 20%

jpruitt
03/21/2010, 07:12 AM
Love the cheap prices.

HASTINGSRJ
03/21/2010, 02:30 PM
Me too. Lol. I sold my seabea anem last night, hewas too big for my tank. Going to pick up a BTA today and a few more lbs of LR

HASTINGSRJ
03/22/2010, 04:17 AM
picked up a BTA, hammer coral and another pice of LR today, and did some re-arranging.

My clowns have taken to the anem already....funny they didnt hardly go near the seabea anem that I sold yesterday.....

js1218
03/22/2010, 06:15 AM
that funny my clowns dont go close my bta . but they love my toadstool he love them to
he is three times the size it was when they first move in

HASTINGSRJ
03/22/2010, 06:19 AM
hahaha, strange thing....clowns will host when the want to with whatever they want to apparently...lol