PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tank stocking thread

TampaReefer79
03/19/2010, 08:30 AM
So I just got my order in for a brand spanking new 8'x4' tank and I'd like some help picking my fish. Below is the list of fish that I'd like to have, not necessarily ALL of them. I'm a tang fan, as you can tell. :fish2: And I'm thinking the 8'x4' footprint will give my tangs plenty of room to roam.

List of fish I like:

fowleri tang
dussumieri tang
chocolate tang
purple tang
powder blue tang
achilles tang
vlamigii tang
sohal?
barien?
desjardini sailfin?
blonde naso?

scribbled rabbit

purple firefish
regular firefish

multiple anthias

wrasses (carpenter and flasher)

pistol shrimp/goby combo - even though I'll probably never see them

regal angel
bellus angel
watanabei angel

blueheaded jawfish

I REALLY want a group of something small...chromis or cardinal of some type. My skimmer will be beastly, thinking about the I-Tech 400 or Beast. Gotta get up the $$ first. lol The skimmer will cost almost as much as the new tank. It's necessary though, no sense in having a monster tank if you can't stock the hell out of it. :celeb1:

Is there any compatibility issues that anyone sees here? Would the 3 angels be ok? I understand that the tank is only 550 or so gallons, but I'll have at least 500lbs of live rock with plenty and I mean PLENTY of different hiding places.

Thanks!

Jurgs
03/19/2010, 08:35 AM
hmmm, i love the tangs that you selected. i got three (yellow,purple & chocolate) and since then my fire fish are no where to be found. they come out now and again but not like in the begining. (you are talking about the fire goby's??? if not my appologies)

TampaReefer79
03/19/2010, 08:44 AM
hmmm, i love the tangs that you selected. i got three (yellow,purple & chocolate) and since then my fire fish are no where to be found. they come out now and again but not like in the begining. (you are talking about the fire goby's??? if not my appologies)

Yep, absolutely. I LOVE the purple firefish. Well all things being equal, I'd rather have the deep water Helfichi firefish. I don't have $800 to spend on 1 little firefish though. lol So the purple is a nice close second at $30 each or so. LOL

Dadekster
03/19/2010, 10:16 AM
That's a lot of tangs for even a tank that size. I have a 8' by 3' and I have a naso, blue, tomni, clown and a kole and they aren't even close to being full grown. The naso, blue and clown use the full length and make even an 8' seem short. I don't know how, but it's like I can see they are disapointed when they reach one end and have to turn around :p Some of yours will get even bigger than mine as well. I'd just keep that in mind for the future although you'll have lots of time depending on what size you get yours at. I did notice that it is a list of tangs you like, not what you intend to put in there however. Some of them on the list are pretty mean as well from what I understand so you may have some fighting going on. My kole and tomni for example don't get along that great since share the same feeding habits.

You might want to take a look at the list and number them in order of what you know you want for sure to fish you'd just like to have. From there elimate tangs that you know won't get along with whatever is rated higher on your list. You might get lucky and be able to keep everything you want and they'll all get along, but you don't want to find out the hard way a year down the road. Tearing a tank apart to get one problem fish out sucks.

Wrasses and anthias always make a nice display as well and less issues with them then tangs in my experience. I have some cardinals and I am happy with them as well, watching them spawn and holding fry is cool as well. Ditto for chromis. Have a school of eight or nine...they are hard to count is nice when they do shoal every now and then. Don't overlook scissortails/dartfish either btw. They swim together quite a bit for me. Last but not least, there are sereral species of damsels that are very mellow and do nicely in a tank that size. I have 3 talbots and a single yellow tail that are interesting to watch in their routines and don't bother any other fish.

camaroboy8691
03/19/2010, 11:35 AM
so you actually getting a bigger tank from a company ? thats awsome .

TampaReefer79
03/19/2010, 01:11 PM
so you actually getting a bigger tank from a company ? thats awsome .

Dude, I HAVE to. I had my heart set on that 8'x4'. The footprint is just awesome. I actually got a quote for a 10'x5' and a 10'x4'. HAHAHA More than double the price of the 8'x4'. They all make my 8'x30" seem small. Once I got the idea in my head of buying your tank, I HAD to get a tank that big. 8'x4' seems to be the cutoff before you dive into the deepend cost wise. I'm getting my tank for $2600 brand new from a great company, and they are local so I don't hav eto ship...and I can't WAIT!!! I'm sure you'll love yours when you get it up and running. I'm sure your wife is THRILLED that you're setting it up now because of me. hahahaha :beer:

camaroboy8691
03/19/2010, 01:14 PM
I'm sure your wife is THRILLED that you're setting it up now because of me. hahahaha :beer:

no wife .... no worries :)

but thats great . is it acylic or glass ?

TampaReefer79
03/19/2010, 02:23 PM
no wife .... no worries :)

but thats great . is it acylic or glass ?

No wife...AHHHH, it all makes sense now. ;) If you had one, you'd know what I meant. lol EVERYTHING has to be run through them 'first'. Funny thing, I convinced her to let me get my new tank...now I have to figure out how to tell her that the skimmer I want is $2100 without tax. :spin3: Oh and it's acrylic. I have an acrylic tank maker local. :beer:

camaroboy8691
03/19/2010, 02:57 PM
No wife...AHHHH, it all makes sense now. ;) If you had one, you'd know what I meant. lol EVERYTHING has to be run through them 'first'. Funny thing, I convinced her to let me get my new tank...now I have to figure out how to tell her that the skimmer I want is $2100 without tax. :spin3: Oh and it's acrylic. I have an acrylic tank maker local. :beer:

however i should be honest , same g/f for 6 years , well actually engaged for 2 but never did it yet , not scared or anything just enjoying life and having fun i guess . but she does what she wants with hers and i do the same . and i pay all the bills for the house so she doesnt complain to much what i spend my play money on .