PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bicolor Angel!!!

MyReef 2b Great
03/19/2010, 11:43 AM
Hey everybody. My favia hasn't been doing to good. I figured it was because my bulbs need to be replaced.(They still need to be replace. Waiting on a shipment still) But today i noticed my bicolor angel nipping at it. :furious: He also was nipping at some others. I like him and would prefer not to get rid of him, but if thats what I have to do to save my favorite coral then so be it. I feed my fish 2 to three times a week. Do you think that if I increase my feeding that he might stop? Does anyone else have any experiences with this fish in a reef?

dogstar74
03/19/2010, 02:36 PM
Firstly, protect the favorite coral with a strawberry basket or some other type of mesh. Then feed more and see if the other corals start to get nipped less. Then once the Favia recovers to the point that you're happy, you should be able to uncover and see if it happens again. Maybe he's just hungry.

Aaron
P.S. increased feeding = increased nutrients. So either increase your filtration or prepare for an algae bloom.

Peter Eichler
03/19/2010, 03:08 PM
These fish are accustomed to feeding and picking all day long so feeding more won't prevent him from nipping the corals. It's no surprise you're having a problem, Bicolors are among the most likely to nip at corals and brain type LPS are among the most likely to be nipped.

On a side note, why are you only feeding your fish 2-3 times a week???

jbird69
03/19/2010, 04:34 PM
I tried one once. He lasted a few days and he was outa there. Some people have had luck with em, most havent. Gorgeous fish tho!

IPowderBlueTang
03/19/2010, 04:47 PM
All angels are hit and miss, I have a flame and coral beauty and they have not touch anything in the tank.They graze on 200 lbs of lr all day. I give my Kole tang nori and the angels also nip at it.

returnofsid
03/19/2010, 05:00 PM
Unfortunately, Bi-Color Dwarf Angels are among the WORST and most likely to nip corals. They rank right up there with the Lemon Peel.

mark54321
03/19/2010, 07:33 PM
I have one in my tank for about 6 mos. now and never touched any corals so far, but I agree they are hit or miss. I feed my fish twice every day. I know one day it may turn for worse and start nipping corals

TJ
03/19/2010, 08:04 PM
I have a bi-color & flame angel, they've never nipped at any corals that I've ever seen (had the 2 of them around 6 yrs now).... not to say they've never touched anything, but not enough to do damage. But I feed Frequently! Maybe that helps....?

MyReef 2b Great
03/19/2010, 09:49 PM
This sucks! Im going to trade him in at the lfs tomorrow. maybe Ill try another one later and feed more but as for this one, He already has a taste for my favia.

MyReef 2b Great
03/19/2010, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good reef safe fish that is as beautiful as a bicolor or flame angel? I currently have a black percula, a kole tang, and an engineer goby. I want to add some colourful fish to my tank.

805reef
03/19/2010, 10:08 PM
how about some wrasses... i haver a mckoskers wrasse and getting a red head solon fairy wrasse( aka clown fairy wrasse) tomorrow

jbird69
03/19/2010, 10:41 PM
royal gramma has a similar color combo as the bi color and are model reef citizens. Beautiful and interesting.