PDA

View Full Version : rodi questions

twintrades
03/19/2010, 08:07 PM
I bought a used rodi unit for 100 bucks. The unit is a kent maxxima hi-s Rodi. And tomorrow im getting the Pump to go with it for 35 bucks. The guy hasnt usedit for about 6 months.

I hooked it up to my cold water and have 45-50 psi. 2 hrs into filtering i have 2 gallons....... sound right ?

My questions are
1 In the directions it says that you should use water a 77 deg. But do not use hot or hot cold mixed. who has room temp cold water ?

2 The wast water could it be used for anything ?

3 Where can i get replacement parts and filters ?

4 The TDS meter turns off. Does it always do that or is the battery dead

5 Did i get a good deal or not ?

cubsFAN
03/19/2010, 09:54 PM
1) cold water slows production. I don't know what else the affects are, but i use cold water.

2)if you do a search you will find discussions on what people use waste water for. 2 of the more popular uses are filling you clothes washer and watering plants.

3)Look to Bulk Reef Supply for new filters. they should work with what you've got.

4)My tds turns off after a few mins to save the batts.

5)Hard to say. what's the tds reading? is it time to replace the filters.

CyCLoBoT
03/20/2010, 12:22 AM
What's the rating of the RO/DI unit? I have a 100GPD unit and it makes around 5G in 2 hours. And the water up here in Canada is usually cold during winter times, as a matter of fact throughout the year and I'm still getting the same production rate from the unit. I have read before that usually its 1:3 ratio of good water to waste water.

twintrades
03/20/2010, 06:55 AM
The TDS read 000 I have 192 coming in. BTW i have a watersoftener and nutrtalizer Plumed in.

lordofthereef
03/20/2010, 10:31 AM
Were the filters/membrane used at all? if so, were they kept completely wet? If not, I would replace them. Your TDS meter probably turns off after a while to save the battery. There is no need for it to be running 24-7 right? You got a decent deal IMO, assuming all the filters are fresh/usable.

Track Rat
03/20/2010, 11:59 AM
Low water pressure can indicate that your filters need to be replaced. However, it is possible that your source pressure is low. I have 75 psi going into my new bulk reef supply 75gpd unit that produces 2 gallons an hour.

Ron Reefman
03/20/2010, 12:14 PM
It depends on what the RODI is rated to make. I had an 8 gallon a day system and it made about a gallon every 2 hours. I switched to a 100 gpd system and now I get about 4 gallons an hour. If your system is a 25-30 gallon a day system you are doing fine. If it's rated higher than that, I'd try new pre filters first. If that doesn't fix it, replace the RO membrane and DI filter.

Cold water works just fine. And as to who has room temp cold water, you should live here. In the summer my coldest water (after it runs for a couple of minutes) is about room temp or even a little above! The first of the cold water run is from in the pipes in our attic and it's almost hot water (like 110+)! But then the outside temp is 90+ in the daytime and 70-75 at night.

Is the $35 pump to increase your incoming water pressure? Your 40-45 psi should be OK. Find out what the pump is supposed to increase the pressure to. That may improve your production as well.

Your 'waste' water is much cleaner than the incoming water so find a use for it. We've just started saving ours to use in the washing machine.

If you have a 25-35 gpd system, you got a good deal.