PDA

View Full Version : Quickrete Medium sand for substrate?

boxer385
03/19/2010, 09:49 PM
Is there a problem using this sand i did research and i'm getting mixed reviews, anyone currently useing it with or without problems?

brycerb
03/20/2010, 08:34 AM
I have used it in freshwater for years. It won't kill anything if that is what you are asking, I don't like the look that much, it is a little brown. You have to wash it very well. It is full of dust. You might want to try pool filter sand, nice and white and requires little washing.

importspeedman
03/20/2010, 08:51 AM
I also have it in my fresh water setup, and I am under the impression that it is the cause of my algie problem. But I dont run any phosphate removing media either.

boxer385
03/20/2010, 09:07 AM
I also have it in my fresh water setup, and I am under the impression that it is the cause of my algie problem. But I dont run any phosphate removing media either.

how bad was the algea?

importspeedman
03/20/2010, 12:45 PM
Within a week i would have a very thick neon green layer on the top of the sand and if i didnt clean my glass at least once every two weeks it was very difficult to see in. But like I said that was fresh water and without any phosphate remover, It could have been many other factors, but I think the main factor was the sand itself.