PDA

View Full Version : Can I throw zoas and xenia in a predator tank?

Bruce Wayne
03/20/2010, 01:31 PM
Just thinking about putting it together, I have a 100 gallon and T5s laying around collecting dust...
I'm thinking get a big skimmer, some LR and just put a few stalks and polyps on the bottom and let them take over...

Will there be a problem with a fuzzy dwarf lion fish? What is a small trigger?? that won't outgrow the tank for a while? a dwarf angel? any other suggestions on cool fish that won't outgrow a 100 gallon?

thanks in advance...

johno4
03/20/2010, 01:38 PM
sounds like a good idea but you might have issues with your trigger picking on and killing your lion. A medium sized wrasse would be cool or an eel.

Bruce Wayne
03/20/2010, 02:39 PM
ok, yeah, a trigger isn't necessary...thanks...what about the dwarf puffers?

reefergeorge
03/20/2010, 02:40 PM
My 90 started as a fowlr, and I started adding frags from my reef into it. The only problem I had was when I tried adding a dogface puffer. He went right for the zoas. The porc, and picasso trigger are great.
Inhabitants, porc puffer, sailfin tang, foxface, coral beauty, and picasso trigger. 180 is in the planning so I can keep my puffer. They grow fast.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/rgeorge4651/100_0043.jpg

Bruce Wayne
03/20/2010, 02:49 PM
picasso won't mess with the zoas or get too big?

Bruce Wayne
03/20/2010, 03:10 PM
thinking fuzzy dwarf lion, picasso, flame angel, maroon clown, yellow tang, and maybe a couple damsels...is that too much if I had only 50 lbs of rock and a good skimmer?

reefergeorge
03/20/2010, 03:35 PM
picasso won't mess with the zoas or get too big?

Mine hasn't even looked at zoas. He did take out every snail, and crab I had one after another until they were all gone, but I expected that. My only worry would be keeping a lion with a trigger. I havn't done it so I don't know for sure. Good luck!

IMO 100 is fine for a picasso. They grow very very slow, and the largest I have ever seen was around 7". Mine has only grown around an inch in two years, and he is overfed.