PDA

View Full Version : GBTA will not sit still?

blownz281
03/20/2010, 03:20 PM
Tank ia a year old and is a 30gal long with 4-24w T5 bulbs. Years ago had GBTA's in the same setup but with less flow. Haven't had it two weeks yet,and it has eaten twice already. As soon as I put it in the tank it bubbled the tips for acouple days. Now it never does and moves around the tank alot? I have a large skimmer,Millennium 1000 HOB,Aquaclear 301 PH,Maximini 404 PH. Thats enough flow to keep the nems tentacles moving pretty good. Do you think flow is the issue? Water quality is perfect. I also have three very small local nems in the tank,they are on the other side and never move. Thanks

blownz281
03/20/2010, 03:31 PM
I just turned off the one powerhead,and turned down the Millennium filter. Should I try and remove one or two of the local nems and see what happens? Anyone in Wilmington NC want some local warty anemones Haha?

garygb
03/20/2010, 03:54 PM
Do you have any liverock with a good cave for it to attach? That seems to be their favorite spot.

blownz281
03/20/2010, 04:20 PM
Yes I have one kinda cave area. The rock was dried dead rock,but I cured it just to be safe. Right now he is trying to attach to my glass top lid. I would think if the other nems were bothering it, then it wouldn't eat or be nice and plump. It gets pretty big at night with moon lights on. i let it get used to my light for about three days. Don't think my lights are that bright to be the issue? Thanks

blownz281
03/20/2010, 04:52 PM
Itried to get it to stay in that area but no go. Should I just turn the filters back up and on and let it figure it out on its own?

jupiter
03/20/2010, 07:33 PM
I suggest you always keep the tank running the way you intend it to run. So, if you intend to eventually turn that powerhead back on, leave it on now. BTAs don't need a lot of light (relative to other host anemones) so I doubt it's your light. Chances are the other anemones are bugging it and the BTA wants to get away. But this might not be the case either. It's all trial and error.

blownz281
03/20/2010, 09:06 PM
Sucks but I can't figure any other reason? Wish I had another tank for them.Can't put them back in the local waters cause its to cold right now. Have to find someone to take them then. I really hope thats the reason.

MarineFlake
03/20/2010, 09:12 PM
Ive had two RBTAs on the move for 3 or 4 months. Some 'nems are just destined to wander. I also had one in a 29G find its way to the back of the tank and settle. Not where I wanted it, but I do not recall it asking ; )

blownz281
03/20/2010, 09:16 PM
I hope thats not mine,cause I don't want a wandering nem..

Moos3
03/20/2010, 11:00 PM
Eh, from my understanding it's just nature, be thankful yours doesn't climb to the top of your tank and free-fall to the bottom...worse than a kid on a jungle gym.

blownz281
03/21/2010, 09:37 AM
Thats odd. Still wonder if the vendor I bought it off of local,might be a issue. The guy pulled him out of the tank exposing it to the air. Whenever I remove anemones and wild ones I put the bag or container under the water and work them into it. Forgot to mention this issue..

Sfork
03/21/2010, 03:17 PM
anemones are fine out of the water. They can deal with low tide, It's a problem if they get an air bubble stuck in them though

blownz281
03/21/2010, 03:25 PM
Yes but I have read where picking it up out of the water can injury it and also the air bubble deal. Think about it this way,kinda like putting a tissue in a bucket of water and coming back later and trying to pick it up. It will tear from the weight.

Breathe13stars
03/21/2010, 04:17 PM
I have 2 GBTA'S niether one of them will sit still for very long, they both are all over the place. Two weeks ago my large one got itself stuck in one of my powerheads that was fun getting it out, it made a full recovery and is back to roaming around. I thought they required moderate to high light but one of them likes getting behind rocks with almost no light. Seems like my clown gets mad at them sometimes, lol the other day I gave them silver sides and the clown kept trying to pull them out of their mouths. It's funny watching the relationship between them.

Breathe13stars
03/21/2010, 04:20 PM
Ive had two RBTAs on the move for 3 or 4 months. Some 'nems are just destined to wander. I also had one in a 29G find its way to the back of the tank and settle. Not where I wanted it, but I do not recall it asking ; )

lol it seems like anemones go exactly opposite of where you want them to go.

Moos3
03/21/2010, 09:03 PM
Nah! Mine went right where I wanted him to, built an overhanging cave to center my tank, and he planted RIGHT There!