PDA

View Full Version : Olive anthias / yellowtail anthias ?

xxtriggermanxx
03/20/2010, 04:08 PM
I know now is not the best time to ask , but I just added one to my display . anybody have some feedback on care. it's in my 265 with 3 lyertails and 2 squarespots. so far it's out and about with everybody and seeming to get along...crossing my fingers... any photos of these fish in all stages of life would be great.... thanks Ray

xxtriggermanxx
03/21/2010, 11:46 AM
nobody? is it just that rare.

xxtriggermanxx
03/21/2010, 04:28 PM
OK fine i'll just keep posting to myself!

Dude , you're gonna love this fish. I've had mine for a few days now. don't know much about them. and it just so happens I have mine in with the same fish.... here is a picture of mine.....bet he looks just like yours!
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/P3210174.jpg

mthomp
03/21/2010, 04:41 PM
hahaha, awesome looking fish.

xxtriggermanxx
03/24/2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks mthomp ! Here's a picture of mine .not a great picture because I have a cheap point and shoot. mine is being bullied by my sub male lyretail but is still eatting like a pig. i'm hoping to find a few more! anyone know where i can find them? or should i just ask myself again?
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/P3210165.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e71/xxtriggermanxx/?action=view&current=P3210165.jpg)

SDguy
03/25/2010, 09:18 AM
Nice. I never see anyone with these...

CorkPullerPHL
03/25/2010, 09:43 AM
I got nothing to offer, other than that is a beautiful fish.

xxtriggermanxx
03/25/2010, 03:14 PM
Nice. I never see anyone with these...

So it is rare? I got him from my lfs. it was sent to them as a male lyertail. I'm not a fan of impulse buys but as soon as I saw him I knew I was going to get him. Any tips? he seems a bit criptic, but when it's time to eat he's not shy at all.....

Thanks CorkPullerPHL !

SDguy
03/25/2010, 05:33 PM
Rare? Not that I know of... just not commonly seen in LFS, due to their more subdued colors, I would think.

xxtriggermanxx
03/25/2010, 06:22 PM
Rare? Not that I know of... just not commonly seen in LFS, due to their more subdued colors, I would think.

I wasn't thinking rare as in nature, but in the hobby. Do you know the level of care this fish will need to thrive?

64Ivy
03/26/2010, 03:32 AM
IME, their care is about the same as Bartlett's and Bicolors. They aren't too particular about their food, though my staple with most Anthias has been PE Mysis soaked in Selcon. Feed at least twice a day. As you can tell by their shape, they're very fond of swimming and darting about. They are very fast so leave yours lots of room. Leave it a few good hiding places too as they aren't as aggressive as some other Anthias and can be bullied.

These guys are very, very hard to come across in the hobby. They come from the Cook Islands where it seems almost everything else is more colorful. I had a shoal of 6 several years ago and only 1, a male, remains today. I'd love to find more but I guess I'll have to assemble them through misidentification like you did. Good luck.