PDA

View Full Version : New Pair, Is Frantic Circling Normal?

magnetar68
03/20/2010, 10:17 PM
I added my first fish to my reef tank today. It has been cycled for a month and all of the parameters have been good. I added two Captive Bred Ocellaris. One larger one and one smaller one. I did a slow acclimatization (20 mins temp adjust then a little tank water mixed in every 7 minutes for and 45 minutes). At first they hung out together in the middle of the tank for about 8 hours and seemed like pretty normal fish. Now, however, the larger one is frantically swimming circles at one side of the tank from the top to bottom. The smaller one is pretty chill, but staying staying pretty close to the bigger one. Does this mean something is aggravating the fish, or do they do this kind of thing sometimes?

Temp: 78
SG: 1.024
Ph:8.2
Ammonia: 0.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 0.0 ppm
Calcium: 380 ppm
Alkalinity: 10dKH
Magnesium: 1280ppm

-Raymo :fish1:

RSM 130D: 40# Live Sand, 35# Live Fiji Rock, inTank Media Basket, Tunze 9002 Skimmer, Jager 150W Heater.
As of 3/20/2010:
CUC Team: 3 Astrea Snails, 4 Turbo Snails, 3 Nassarius Snails, 1 Scarlet Hermit, 2 Electric Blue Hermits, 1 Emerald Crab
Corals (my guesses): Yellow Polyp (Parazoanthus sp.), Green Polyp (Zoanthus sp.), Kenya Tree (Capnella sp.), Toadstool Leather (Sarcophyton sp.)
Fish: Captive Bread Clown Fish (Amphiprion Ocellaris)

tufacody
03/20/2010, 10:27 PM
Joyce Wilkerson talks about this behavior a little in her book. They might be freaked out about the lights. Try dimming, if you can. Always best to keep lights off or very dim for quite a while when introducing new fish.

I have also found that an anemone will curb this behavior. Also, if the fish are eating, usually a good sign they'll be ok. Captive bred occs seem to take the longest to find a suitable host, but once they do they settle down.