1 micron poly filter
8800 series booster pump
chloramine master carbon block stage 2
chloramine master carbon block stage 3
1 micron poly
Filmtec 75 GPD RO membrane
DM-2 TDS meter
DI stage

All of the above were replaced 6 months ago and since then Iíve made 820 gallons of water. TDS is zero (Iíve never had a reading higher than zero). Today I tested positive for chlorine/chloramine using your test kit. Does that seem normal? If so, does this mean I need to replace the RO membrane again?

Also, I noticed that the chorine/chloramine test powder was a dark color instead of white. I opened a couple of more packets, one was dark and one was white. Is it possible that the test kit is faulty?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1850&pictureid=12030

Thanks,
Tom

Thefilterguys
03/24/2010, 12:25 AM
Sorry we have been disconnected for our forum for some unknown reason for a while.
Gallons of water produced means nothing with chloramines as the levels can very day to day. We recommend filter change every six months with chloramines and outward appearence means nothing to the condition of the carbon in the filter. A positive reading has nothing to do with the membrane as chloramine will pass through a membrane without being filtered and do no harm. It is really hard to say if it is the filters reaching capacity or the kit.

The packets are not out of date but not to say one or two couldn't have received a puncture exposing the contents to air. Was the positive test with light or dark powder or you dont know?

Jim

tgee
03/24/2010, 07:19 PM
The positive test was with the dark powder. Since then, I've tested twice with white powder, and it tested fine (no pink). I only have a couple of packets left, but I'l be sure throw them out if the powder is not white.

I had extra carbon block filters, so I changed them after reading your reply. I guess I'm ok for now.

Thanks for getting back. Another order will be coming your way...

Tom

Thefilterguys
03/24/2010, 09:29 PM
Are you the Tom G with the newly placed order? I just checked and we are on a new lot of test packets and I can send some new packets for your old kit at no charge with your order if you like.

Jim

tgee
03/25/2010, 05:19 AM
That's me, Jim. That would be great. You Guys are the best!

Thefilterguys
03/25/2010, 08:05 AM
Do you want the new test kit you ordered or will the packets take care of you?

Jim

tgee
03/26/2010, 04:26 AM
I think I'm too late in answering, so which ever way it was shipped will be fine with me :cool:

Thanks again.

Thefilterguys
03/26/2010, 09:40 AM
No problem I sent you a new package of test pillows and canceled the new test kit you ordered and will make a refund.

Jim

tgee
03/28/2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Jim. Package arrived yesterday.

Thanks for the great service, as usual.

Tom