PDA

View Full Version : tank raised or wild?

woogy
03/21/2010, 04:37 PM
Which ocellaris should I go with to host my red bubble tip anemone? I hear different opinions on this and the website that I may be purchasing one from states that tank raised clowns may never host with an anemone that is tank raised because this behavior only happens in the wild. But some state it is instinct they will host.

clowns101
03/21/2010, 04:58 PM
AGGGGG!This is a question asked very often!If I had a $1 for every tim ethi swas asked I would be rich!But thats okay!I like to help!

Anyway,all fish of the clownfish sp. will host an anemone.Its not leanred,its an instinct.I have 2 Ocellaris clowns hosting in some RBTA's.

Hope this helps!

Trademark
03/21/2010, 06:30 PM
Bump,, please buy tank raised and lets not contribute to the destruction of my reefs,your reefs, our reefs,----soooo-- many more plus's with tank raised,,, sorry for the high horse

clowns101
03/21/2010, 06:45 PM
Ya,Thats true.I dont mind ya geting all high horse.Its good to have people like that!

jt_milstead
03/21/2010, 09:11 PM
AGGGGG!This is a question asked very often!If I had a $1 for every tim ethi swas asked I would be rich!But thats okay!I like to help!

Anyway,all fish of the clownfish sp. will host an anemone.Its not leanred,its an instinct.I have 2 Ocellaris clowns hosting in some RBTA's.

Hope this helps!
This is true, but from my experience it has taken longer for a tank raised fish to find its host.

velvetelvis
03/21/2010, 09:43 PM
Captive-bred. Always. There's absolutely no reason to remove ocellaris clownfish from the wild, regardless of their hosting potential. Enjoy the fish for themselves, and consider it icing on the cake if they will go into an anemone. If not, you will still have charming pets and you'll be spared the hassle of trying to care for an anemone, which can be a real PITA.

bues0022
03/22/2010, 07:14 AM
This is true, but from my experience it has taken longer for a tank raised fish to find its host.

This is part of the problem with this debate - In your experience. There are plenty of people (myself included) that brought a captive breed clownfish home and it found the nem within minutes. Sometimes, some will never host the nem captive breed or wild caught. Besides, what is taking longer? a week, month year? It's worth it not to further destroy the reef. The best-case scenario is that someday ALL our fish are captive breed and we no longer need to take the exact same fish from the oceans (with a MUCH higher death rate - collection, shipping, holding, shipping, holding again at LFS, then to your home is all very traumatic for a little fish). I don't really see any great reason to get WC fish, unless you're a breeder. Besides, CB fish are hardier, and less likely to have diseases.

DeathWish302
03/22/2010, 11:49 AM
I have not ever had a WC clown or ever an anemone, but my CB clowns always have hosted ricordia rocks. This has always been the case, so I would suppose the same is true for an anemone.

As for the CB act, my head is in the sky..... Just read the sig.

mjoener
03/22/2010, 11:58 AM
Buy captive bred!!! Do the hobby a favor.

clowns101
03/22/2010, 02:48 PM
This is part of the problem with this debate - In your experience. There are plenty of people (myself included) that brought a captive breed clownfish home and it found the nem within minutes. Sometimes, some will never host the nem captive breed or wild caught. Besides, what is taking longer? a week, month year? It's worth it not to further destroy the reef. The best-case scenario is that someday ALL our fish are captive breed and we no longer need to take the exact same fish from the oceans (with a MUCH higher death rate - collection, shipping, holding, shipping, holding again at LFS, then to your home is all very traumatic for a little fish). I don't really see any great reason to get WC fish, unless you're a breeder. Besides, CB fish are hardier, and less likely to have diseases.

Thank you.At the moment I have a wild female Ocellaris(for breeding purposes only,need good genes to work with)and she have been in my system for a couple of years and still dosent host the anemone provided.I also have a male Ocellaris in a dif system and he was in the anemone with in 2 days.I really dont think it depends if yo uget wild or captive.

THEY ALL HAVE INSTENCT TO HOST AN ANEMONE.IT IS A TRAIT CARERIED ON IN THE GENES OF THE FISH.

sleeperls
03/22/2010, 07:56 PM
My .02

Over the years and many pairs i've only had a few clowns host a bta.

The best luck i've had is with my booyahs true perc onyx. She was in it within a couple days.

Tahoe Reefer
03/22/2010, 09:13 PM
Here is a link to an old Discovery page that proves via controlled testing tank and wild clowns can "smell" nems and leaves from island trees where nems live.
BUY TANK BRED FISH
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/29/nemo-clownfish-smell.html

ktellerman
03/22/2010, 09:32 PM
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_3/cav3i1/Clown_anemone/Clown_anemone.htm
The A. Ocellaris is not the clown most inclined to host a BTA. However, you'd have a better chance with wild if that's your plan.

garygb
03/22/2010, 10:26 PM
Along with most everyone else, I would chime in and say it doesn't make a bit of difference whether it's wild-caught or tank-bred in terms of being hosted. My tank-bred ocellaris and my tank-bred went to their respective magnificas and RBTAs in minutes. As was mentioned, ocellaris isn't a natural symbiont to BTAs, therefore it may or may not happen. And even more than the question about WC vs. TB being hosted, people continue to say clowns hosting an anemone. The anemone is the host. So an anemone hosts a clownfish, not the other way around. The clownfish may host a parasite, but that would be about all a clownfish is going to host ;-)

Sfork
03/23/2010, 03:59 AM
Here is a link to an old Discovery page that proves via controlled testing tank and wild clowns can "smell" nems and leaves from island trees where nems live.
BUY TANK BRED FISH
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/08/29/nemo-clownfish-smell.html

I think you phrased that wrong. Makes it seem like only wilds smell the nems.

FTA:
Finally, the team showed that even fish bred in aquariums in synthetic seawater were attracted to beach water and to anemone and leaf cues, suggesting that this attraction is innate.

On another note: I wonder if getting some of these leaves would make clowns more prone to host nems.

1) Get leaves
2) Link to discovery website
3) ???????
4) Profit!

arioch
03/23/2010, 06:39 AM
You'd have to get those specific island tree leaves, though.

velvetelvis
03/23/2010, 11:23 AM
The clownfish may host a parasite, but that would be about all a clownfish is going to host ;-)

Especially if the clown is wild-caught.