PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new clown, mate just died.

marinehrnt
03/21/2010, 07:54 PM
I had one of my clowns die today (got killed by a pump, freak accident), the female is still alive. Is adding a new clown going to be a problem or will she be fine by herself. She seems stressed out and is not interested in eating, has always been a good eater. Any input would be great. Thanks.

cubsFAN
03/21/2010, 08:21 PM
after my male died, my female seemed very sad. 6 years together. i paired her backup with another little guy and she resumed spawning. a few months later i gave the pair to a friend. she died a year later. What kind of clown is it? In nature there is usually another clown right there that will fall into rank. I'd try to pair it up again. just get a fish that is smaller. My clowns were occelaris, if you are dealing with a maroon clown it may be a different story as these tend to be harder to pair up without the new fish taking a serious beating.

clowns101
03/21/2010, 08:22 PM
Well the clownfish just lost the lover of her life.I would think she would be depressed too!Giver time and I bet she will eat again.

With adding another clown,she may be glad to have him or she may not be happy to have him.I would get one as small as possible and see what happens!

marinehrnt
03/21/2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info! She is an occelaris, I think I will try and add another very small one and see how things go. It's a real bummer whenever a fish is lost, hopefully she will start eating again soon. I'm sure she will pull through, it will probable just take some time from the sounds of it.

stancfii
03/22/2010, 05:10 PM
I had the same problem a couple months ago. I bought a "male" about half the size of my female and by the next day, they were a happy couple. There was some nipping and charging, but nothing bad enough to make me think I should take him out (they never locked jaws or anything like that).